dipping back shoulder during swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 6, 2011
If that is her swing and she strikes out often what else could it be? (this past weekend ,our 2nd tournament of season, she hit 1 double and 3 singles all to the green out of 5 games strike outs were 5 to 6 times) I didn't think that was horrible considering being the 2nd tournament but she is very hard on herself. I said she is dipping because her coach and other people say she is dipping. I will check out the post of the Arizona player..thanks

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
SOFTBALLCRAZY, I understand and know that you have concerns. Most posters do. I'd spend time with your daughter in the model swings thread and look at what good college hitters do. IMO, most people who yell about the back shoulder dipping have never studies any video. It is something that they have heard and so, they repeat it because they really don't know what else to say. I know one parent that is constantly yelling this at her daughter. The problem is, the more she yells this, the worse her daughter does. Then, when she does make contact, typically, it is a topped ball that dribbles slowly on the infield for an easy out.

Your daughter could be striking out for all kinds of reasons. She might be chasing off speed pitches. She might have timing issues and can't catch up with the heat. She might be pulling out. The best thing you can do is video your daughter so that both you and her can see what she is doing.

Sep 6, 2011
Thank you and I was thinking our next step will be to video tape her in the game. I will start checking out videos and reading more of these threads and hope to have her making more contact this season..Thanks to all of you.

Jan 25, 2011
Thank you and I was thinking our next step will be to video tape her in the game. I will start checking out videos and reading more of these threads and hope to have her making more contact this season..Thanks to all of you.
Post her batting video on here and you will have a lot of help. Like Cannonball said people just repeat what one coach said years ago and they dont know any different."your dropping your shoulder,swing level,*squish the bug*,I had to throw that one in there,I hate that one"Well you get the picture. What age is your dd what does she play in,rec,TB or HS.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Make certain that her eye exams are up to date. That way, you can exclude a problem with her eyes. I catch at least one player per year that needs glasses.

But, actually, your daughter sounds great.

Jun 20, 2008
(this past weekend ,our 2nd tournament of season, she hit 1 double and 3 singles all to the green out of 5 games strike outs were 5 to 6 times) I didn't think that was horrible considering being the 2nd tournament but she is very hard on herself. I said she is dipping because her coach and other people say she is dipping. I will check out the post of the Arizona player..thanks

4 for 9 or 4 for 10 is pretty good!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Good weekend.Dipping part hard to say without video.Dipping also to me could be dipping whole body down to ball.Not tilting to bring bat down to ball.DD may need to be shown, like a couple of posters suggested looking at video of the college players.Your DD may not have the correct picture in her mind of what a good swing looks like.Just a guess on my part.

May 16, 2010
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep a player from dipping their back shoulder when swinging the bat? Any drills? DD form is great off the tee, soft toss, just loses it during the game.:confused:

It depends on what you mean by dipping. Moving the head back toward the catcher, and/or leaning back and dropping the hands, is BAD. Dipping the shoulder by tilting the spine toward the plate and rotating the back shoulder down toward the ball is GOOD.

Like this;

bonds02.gif

She could be missing the ball because of head movement or trying to keep the shoulder up which forces the hands to go downward to chase the ball. Hard to say without a video of her swing.

Sep 6, 2011
Nanotech14, dd is 14 and plays TB. I will try to post video of her hitting.. this might take me a while but Im sure I will figure it out!!!

Post her batting video on here and you will have a lot of help. Like Cannonball said people just repeat what one coach said years ago and they dont know any different."your dropping your shoulder,swing level,*squish the bug*,I had to throw that one in there,I hate that one"Well you get the picture. What age is your dd what does she play in,rec,TB or HS.

Sep 6, 2011
She just had an exam in Feb of this year. I always try to get that out of the way every year before the season starts. :)

Make certain that her eye exams are up to date. That way, you can exclude a problem with her eyes. I catch at least one player per year that needs glasses.

But, actually, your daughter sounds great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1