Keeping the Front Shoulder Down during Stride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Maybe, but she wasn't fooled and her timing looked good. Never compromised her fyb position.

If she started a tad later she’s all over that pitch.agreed! The timing of her movements are text book and money. Just too early for the fastball etc etc.

Reactions: TDS
Aug 20, 2017
Do you think its from a forward only shift mentality? Not saying its wrong just curious of your thoughts?

Edit: W is right by doing nothing if she is hitting pretty consistent.
Yes. I’ve taught her to limit any rearward movement. Back knee stays inside back foot. Just knee lift and float. Beat the ball to the spot. Having coached softball before she started playing I wanted to make sure timing was never an issue. Eliminate being late. Didn’t think it would turn into being too early on good velocity.

Aug 20, 2017
If her teammates are late on velocity tell her to not look at them..kind of like Tiger refusing to watch Barkley’s swing..😂
She has a few that were last night. She bats 5th. They talk to each other about the spin and speed. Those older girls may be freaking her out 😜

Aug 20, 2017
If she started a tad later she’s all over that pitch.agreed! The timing of her movements are text book and money. Just too early for the fastball etc etc.
When I slow it down it looks like she held off on weight shift on this pitch. Is that an achievable adjustment? Guess you would truly have to be fyb to make that happen. Her head coach constantly yells stay back. That’s what his hitters that are late do

• Haha
Reactions: TDS
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes. I’ve taught her to limit any rearward movement. Back knee stays inside back foot. Just knee lift and float. Beat the ball to the spot. Having coached softball before she started playing I wanted to make sure timing was never an issue. Eliminate being late. Didn’t think it would turn into being too early on good velocity.

It’s a good reason to do so. Fastpitch reaction times from a young age are shorter all the way up to the pros.

So eventually the pitching gets really good and seeing it deeper is ideal. Backside line drives are the goal mostly when getting older. But with the timing constraints and the bat speed girls can generally generate you gotta shorten up. It’s not an oppo approach physically but a oppo approach timing wise. Adjust from there.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
When I slow it down it looks like she held off on weight shift on this pitch. Is that an achievable adjustment? Guess you would truly have to be fyb to make that happen. Her head coach constantly yells stay back. That’s what his hitters that are late do

When a coach is saying ‘stay back’ that means start later or stay back longer before you start! @efastball 😆😆(inside joke w him, myself or maybe a few others!) You can only hold a FYB or good loaded position for so long and be able to hit multiple pitches or speeds.

@efastball - ‘I just gave you thousands of dollars of hitting lessons etc etc.’ all fun E 😆

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478