Dimple Balls stinging hands? Several theories & would like input

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Hello- searched this topic but want to ask it specifically.

Here is the situation: My two daughters, 13 and 9 years old go to a batting lesson once per week. They hit non-Jugs dimple balls from a Jugs machine. They never complained about hands stinging until the coach bought new balls. They are similar to Jugs in texture, hardness etc. but now they are getting stung so bad they don't want to hit the ball. Prior to that they were using dimple balls that had been "well hit" with no complaints.

Can the ball itself make that much difference?

Here is my other theory: My older daughter goes to the lesson directly from a team practice. At team practice they have been hitting machine pitch Atec softies. Is it possible that a bad habit has been developed hitting the softies and because the ball is so soft she is not getting feedback from the bat that improper contact is being made? Seems like she is hitting off the end of the bat (30" Rocketech") and the harder dimple balls are giving her that feedback (sting)?

I just can't imagine that a *correctly hit* dimple ball, even if it is a bit harder would sting that much. The lesson coach has taken no step to correct form or change balls etc.

Thanks, ww.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Actually, there a couple of possible issues with those balls. Let's start with the balls themselves.

There are varying types of machine balls. The Jugs ones are designed more for team use. The materials they use are a little softer and have a little more "give." There are some other brands like that as well.

Then there are the balls designed for commercial batting cages. They are designed for durability -- essentially to save batting cage owners from having to purchase new balls so often. They are harder and more dense.

Jugs calls their "sting-free" because the softness forgives a mis-hit ball more. Unless you really get it out on the edge or close to the handle you won't feel it. The commercial balls, on the other hand, are like hitting a brick. If you don't nail it on the sweet spot it's going to hurt. That's what's probably going on here. If your daughter is off even a little bit she could be feeling it. The hardness could be creating vibrations that the softer ones don't. That may also happen on the sweet spot, but I think it's less likely.

Here's the other issue, though. I know the Jugs people say you can use your expensive bats with their balls, and in my experience it's true. Not so with commercial balls. The hardness can break those expensive bats pretty easily and quickly.

So you may want to find out what type of balls they are and do a little research. In any event, I wouldn't let your daughter use her expensive bat with them. Better safe than out $300.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I found one year that my daughter had an episode with stinging hands. And after that she altered how she gripped the bat. It was almost sub conscious but when she anticipated being stung she loosened her grip, which actually makes it worse.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that you are saying that your 13 YO is using a 30 inch RT. I am all for the RT, but unless your DD is tiny, that bat might be too short.

Your instructor should be making adjustments, due to your daughters' discomfort.

I love the Total Control Sports balls. You toss them from the front - not out of a machine. I never use a machine to teach hitting. You can research that topic if you want. If you need more info, PM me and I will search for the link.

Oct 12, 2009
Hello- searched this topic but want to ask it specifically.

Here is the situation: My two daughters, 13 and 9 years old go to a batting lesson once per week. They hit non-Jugs dimple balls from a Jugs machine. They never complained about hands stinging until the coach bought new balls. They are similar to Jugs in texture, hardness etc. but now they are getting stung so bad they don't want to hit the ball. Prior to that they were using dimple balls that had been "well hit" with no complaints.

Can the ball itself make that much difference?

Here is my other theory: My older daughter goes to the lesson directly from a team practice. At team practice they have been hitting machine pitch Atec softies. Is it possible that a bad habit has been developed hitting the softies and because the ball is so soft she is not getting feedback from the bat that improper contact is being made? Seems like she is hitting off the end of the bat (30" Rocketech") and the harder dimple balls are giving her that feedback (sting)?

I just can't imagine that a *correctly hit* dimple ball, even if it is a bit harder would sting that much. The lesson coach has taken no step to correct form or change balls etc.

There are all different kinds of dimple balls, and it can be hard to tell them apart.

Basically, some are much more dense, and have much less air, than others.

Dec 11, 2010
THANK YOU for some very good comments and info.

Ken- I thought that very well may be the case. My first reaction in these situations is not to "blame the equipment" but in this case it probably would have been dead on.

chinamigarden- I mentioned this to my older daughter- her face lit up with understanding and she believed she was loosening her grip.

Amy in Az- I have actually read your posts on that very topic! I have been practicing my pitching delivery. Seriously. I'm not fast at all but perhaps if I get a screen and get close to simulate speed, both my pitching and the hitting will improve. About the bat- she is overdue for a new one. She was pretty small for a 12 year old and just turned 13 this month. At the time I bought it she did very well with it but even then it was on the small side. We were in a sporting goods store last week- she swung a balanced -10 32 inch pretty well. I really don't know what to do there, the RT has been good for her but some have told me that most girls hit more consistantly with balanced bats. Not sure at all what to do there and unbiased advice isn't always easy to come by! It seems like whatever bat someone has used (or has on the rack) is the greatest bat ever...

Chris- I think you guys hit it on the head.

My #1 frustration is that the instructor did not make the connection- that something changed with the new balls. And if he didn't believe it was the balls why not correct what my estimated #2 possible cause: mechanics.

I am a very new student of the softball game and it really concerns me that I am seeing there was a problem and he didn't...

My next "research project" is to figure out if we damaged the RT bat...

Thanks to all again, ww.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would venture to guess that a tiny 12 YO, is not going to damage an RT, with a few practice swings. Since you say that she is small, her 30 inch bat, might be just fine. I don't think that I would change the bat. I would change instructors.

Sometimes when a smaller girl is wanting an end loaded bat, I advise her to go an inch shorter, anyway.

Jul 26, 2010
The RT isn't composite, so it should be okay. It is pretty thin so I wouldn't recommend continuing to use it. The good news is that all you have to do is see if it's dented/collapsed or not and you can check this visually.

I agree that if the problem arose when the balls changed, then the balls have to be different, however, use it as an opportunity to teach proper mechanics, when hit correctly, even the worst commercial balls shouldn't inflict pain.

-W

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Back to OP. I use jugs balls exclusively. I have found that when they are new,
there is a bit of a 'knuckle ball' effect until they have been hit several times. They become a bit harder
with use but there is consistent 'give'. Now, at the cages, pick up a ball they are like a
light-weight rock with no 'give' due to a harder more durable composite 'shell'.
We use cages more for bunting and t-work as well as soft-toss. I find that this is most effective use
of my time in the cages. The cage machine pitches are used exclusively for slapping and bunting,
very little hitting away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck