Dimple Balls stinging hands? Several theories & would like input

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks to all for some great info. I can tell you that it really helped me get back on track. Here is where I am at: I have an unheated shed and I was able to get batting cage net hung out there so we can hit some balls when temps rise to the 20's or 30's. (We are using wood bats, not our game bats in these temps.) We went out last night and we did tee and side toss drills. It was alot more fun for the girls because they were able to see the resulult of a well hit ball instead of seeing it hit a quick screen. I have learned that I can throw the Jugs Softies pretty well, and can even throw a breaking ball. I threw from about 15-20' to simulate speed. We had great winter fun playing an imaginary game with balls and strikes and imaginary runners. (next step on that is they get to decide when it is the right time to bunt on their own and which way to bunt it.) I ordered some TCB balls. I am very much looking forward to using them. The RT bat seems to be undamaged, and we are currently bat shopping. Lastly, we are back with our original batting coach who we really liked. We got away from going to her because she had day job challenges that made scheduling erratic but that has settled down and even if it didn't: I would rather get GOOD instruction every other week than what we were getting every week. Both me and the girls are pumped about seeing this batting coach again! I really want to get her input after seeing the girls swing on what size bat the girls should be swinging, RT vs. balanced bat, etc. so that will help resolve our bat shopping questions too. All is well!

Thanks to all for all the good reading and info on this site. ww.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Amy In Az- I do think the bat is too small for her- she is about 5' and 88# and is pretty strong. We bought it last summer and she has grown alot and gotten stronger. We are in the unusual position of a 12 year old going from league ball to travel ball at a later age so we are playing catch up.

My plan was she would use that bat last summer and over the winter and my 9 years old daughter could use it this coming year. Problem is, my 9 year old is almost as tall and is built thicker so I think she is going to be on the verge of too big for that bat next summer. In fact, all the benefits of her using older sis' clothes and bikes and everything else is over!

I guess gaving a large, strong 9 year old is a good problem to have...

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Why do you go an inch shorter? Just wondering. I also read that 12-13 can't handle end loaded. Is that true?
I don't work with girls that young, but by 14, the girls are smacking the crap out of the ball with end-loaded, so just wondering when the "light goes on"? Just a year later, you also get killed by High School curve balls if your bat is too short.

I don't know who they are that say 12-13 can't handle an end loaded bat, but I disagree. Leaving age out of it, any player that has poor swing mechanics won't swing an end loaded bat well, and likely will have a worse swing with the end loaded bat than the balanced bat they moved from. The statement, fewer younger girls can swing an end loaded bat well. Holds water. If the mechanics are good, balance and power achieved with a balanced bat she can likely swing an end loaded bat just fine, regardless of age.

My opinion of course.

Jun 25, 2009
Had this lately

Never had this problem until this year. Got us a new aluminum "practice bat" and headed to try out the new hitting coach (more on that later). He had a new machine and some shiny new dimple balls (I promise the cheapest he could find). Did some tee work and went to the machine. First time ever, DD actually complains that it is hurting her finger. Swapped to our game bat, and it was the same thing. I wrote it off as not being all into the new coach changing up a few things.

One day this week, we got out the neighbors machine and a bucket of dimple balls (we had used his machine before, but with real balls). They are real old looking, but not sure what brand. She griped about the same thing. Of course I figured she was just not wanting to hit at the time.

Went back to the light flight the rest of the week working on timing and left side work. Decided to try some new Jugs Sting Free today on a whim, and ran by Academy and picked up four. They only had the ones with the seams, but I am led to believe the dimpled ones are "sting free" as well. Anyway, she wore me out chasing those four balls all afternoon. I honestly believe we either go cheap and save a couple of bucks or try and go too long without replacing balls and end up chunking rocks. I'd look into the balls before I gave up.

Dec 22, 2010
My DD (10 y/o) was complaining of the ball stinging her hands over the winter while hitting at an indoor facility. She's tall but probably 70lbs soaking wet so power is not her game, lol! I suspected that the dimpled balls were doing the damage. I encouraged her to use batting gloves which helped a bit. She was swinging an old 28/15 bat (which is too small for her) instead of her new 29/17 composite. I was afraid that the heavier balls would damage the new bat. Anyway, we've had a few outdoor practices and she's swinging the new bat (and using batting gloves). No complaints so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32