Difference between baseball and softball swing mechanics...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
Tom, to me some of your statements seem contradictory and I'm having problems reconciling what you are saying with how I understand the terminology. No doubt, this is due to my own limited understanding. Here is a site with some articulations defined and illustrated:

Shoulder Articulations

Hip Articulations

Perhaps it would help if you articulate the functions of the lead arm/rear arm, stride leg/rear leg. Even better would be to provide illustrations

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
We posted a little about this in a previous discussion. To me, it looks something like this...

cshilt-albums-hitting-picture211-2010-01-20-112924.jpg
cshilt-albums-hitting-picture212-2010-01-20-113017.jpg

This is what I call "the hands staying put". The anatomical term of the arm action, I believe, is adduction. To the girls we instruct we want the hands to get in a good launch position.

Cshilt, thanks for posting the above pictures of Pujols. The movement that Pujols is doing here is what I finally figured out, and IMO is huge. Notice in the second photo how when his back elbow lowers to his side, his front elbow and forearm have raised. Notice how his hands have also raised. Compare the position of the bat head in the 1st photo to the 2nd photo. When Pujols lowered his rear elbow did the bat head move forward towards the ball, or did it move behind him? When his rear elbow lowered did his hands drop and move forward, or did they stay back and up. Also notice in the 2nd photo how the hips are leading the way while his hands are busy responding to the swapping of the elbows.

IMO, the reason why many people, myself included, miss this critical move is because if a hitter starts in their stance with the bat positioned more horizontal, the movement get's masked big time. Which is why I started my daughter and the other girls I work with, with the bat in the horizontal position. It makes it much easier to tell if they're doing it correctly. Once they get the correct feel down, I let them experiment with different handsets.

Last edited:
May 13, 2008
The purpose of the lines is twofold; 1) to demonstrate the linear weight shift and 2) illustrate what we mean by separation.

I read your post regarding your AHA moment. I think that this demonstrates the next part...

cshilt-albums-hitting-picture402-2010-02-19-124530.jpg
cshilt-albums-hitting-picture401-2010-02-19-124556.jpg

In frame #9 we see AP beginning to slot the rear elbow. By the time we get to the bat lag position (#10), the rear elbow is now properly slotted ahead of the hip socket and AP can release the bat to contact.

If you follow the path of the lead elbow and then the hands you can understand Howard's mantra of "where the lead elbow was the hands will be".

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Great demo and post Chris. We teach girls to get the bat in what we call the slot position, not horizontal. We have them test by tapping the back of the helmet were the pony tail outlet is. We also teach top hand top of the shoulder with about a fist gap betweeen the two, during the step up. . This we feel is more of a neutral position that they can change later per style.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Great demo and post Chris. We teach girls to get the bat in what we call the slot position, not horizontal. We have them test by tapping the back of the helmet were the pony tail outlet is. We also teach top hand top of the shoulder with about a fist gap betweeen the two, during the step up. . This we feel is more of a neutral position that they can change later per style.

If you're refering to starting the bat in the crook of the neck or close to it; I have experimented with this position and IMO this is a very good option. My only concern is the potential for bat wrap if they start straightening their lead arm when they perform their negative move. Overall it is a very simple setup because the hands are closer to the palm up/palm down position. I actually prefer this position to Epsteins "bat on deltoid" setup.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
schilt -

the best place for this info would be an overhand throw forum, or if that is not available, another thread here. we can take things there if you are interetsed with the purpose being to better understand why if you can throw, you can hit as Slaught and Candrea and Enquist,etc say.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Agree Wellphyt. I think I picked up the term slot position way back in the early 90's following Tommy Emanski in baseball world. Not much in softball back then so you had to learn from the baseball guru's. That is why I like Hitters /Howard 's device along with Dana's Connector device. Each shows the kids where the elbows and arms should be. Bustos showed me a new one, but taking the base off of one of the small T's and putting it between the arms to show a young lady she was doing exactly what you have stated above. Heck I learn something new everytime I work with kids. I have two groups of 13's and younger this weekend that will test me. Some have never played travel ball, but I'm sure I will learn something from them. I always refine my teaching ability.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Agree Wellphyt. I think I picked up the term slot position way back in the early 90's following Tommy Emanski in baseball world. Not much in softball back then so you had to learn from the baseball guru's. That is why I like Hitters /Howard 's device along with Dana's Connector device. Each shows the kids where the elbows and arms should be. Bustos showed me a new one, but taking the base off of one of the small T's and putting it between the arms to show a young lady she was doing exactly what you have stated above. Heck I learn something new everytime I work with kids. I have two groups of 13's and younger this weekend that will test me. Some have never played travel ball, but I'm sure I will learn something from them. I always refine my teaching ability.

That is too funny Dan. That was my FIRST connector. I did just that in my garage 4 years ago. :)

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Just goes to show you, you have to improvise to get a point across to a 12 or 13 year old . Gerry is taking care of me, till then, I carry a small base in by toy bag. I'm going to have to get one with wheels if I keep adding to it. My wife broke down and got me a wagon. Now I'm trying to convince her to let me buy a truck to put it all in.

May 13, 2008
schilt -

the best place for this info would be an overhand throw forum, or if that is not available, another thread here. we can take things there if you are interetsed with the purpose being to better understand why if you can throw, you can hit as Slaught and Candrea and Enquist,etc say.

I agree that throwing and hitting being related. I have worked with Howard and Crystl and before the girls pick up a bat they pick up a ball and glove and cover portions of the throwing motion.

If you think that is best covered in another thread that would be fine. Please start one here as I don't have the time to peruse too many forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06