Difference between baseball and softball swing mechanics...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
OK... first, as you can tell by my number of posts, I am a new member, so bear with me. If this issue has been addressed before, point me to a link.

I have been reading a lot of the posts in the hitting board and watching a lot of the videos. A lot of the information is very good. As I am working with fastpitch softball players, is there anything that differentiates the swing mechanics of a softball player and baseball player? I guess I am mainly thinking about the plain that the ball will arrive. Baseball, you will be mostly looking at a pitch coming in high to low. In softball, you will be looking at a pitch that is usually low to low, or low to high.

From reading, I would assume that most of the fundamentals of a rotational swing would be the same. Is there any exception that I should be thinking about or pointing out about the plain of the ball?

I hope this question makes sense.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We teach the same swing to girls or boys. Just the balance part is slightly different for females. If you are new to teaching girls. You will find out they liked to be showed why the are doing something, more than boys. For that reason we use different tools more. If you read any of Hitters -Howards posts. The big difference is girls they have never been trained to use a hammer or a axe. So you must train them to use the wrists correctly. Go watch a girl drive a nail if you want to get a good laugh.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2010
That hitting the nail thing is pretty funny. I can see exactly what it illustrates. When a girl drives the hammer, she almost 'pushes' the hammer into the nail, instead of using the wrist as a pivot point.

These are the tid-bits of comparison that are helpful. Especially as a man trying to teach and get across to girls.

Thanks.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
That hitting the nail thing is pretty funny. I can see exactly what it illustrates. When a girl drives the hammer, she almost 'pushes' the hammer into the nail, instead of using the wrist as a pivot point.

These are the tid-bits of comparison that are helpful. Especially as a man trying to teach and get across to girls.

Thanks.

One 2win you are on track in my opinion with having your daughter become a better athlete by taking the time to learn what they do not know! I actually teach them leverage using a 2 x 4 and a small block of wood. The way they grip the bat helps or lessens the leverage they can apply when using the bat and we can demonstrate that so they can feel the difference. Then combine that with the hammer usage and extension and anyone can hit harder. My girls hit exactly like our boys and the only difference is their balance point and the lack of knowledge of how to shift their weight and flex their lead foot knee to throw or hit. Tracking the ball is totally foreign also however teachable.

Thanks Howard

BLB

May 19, 2008
Certain baseball players may do different things prior to heel plant for whatever reason. I would stay away from some of those movements for softball. Keep it simple. From heel plant on, good hitters all look very similar whether it's baseball or softball.

Oct 25, 2009
I don't believe I would be too far off the mark to say that boys at this same level (10U, 12U, 14U) do not have any more experience than the girls as far as hammers and axes. Therefore, what Hitter does could probably be applied successfully for baseball as well.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Boys are much better at overhand throw. This makes a HUGE difference.

Teaching a good throw to girls at a young age is the single biggest skill coaching opportunity in fastpitch.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
The big difference is girls they have never been trained to use a hammer or a axe. So you must train them to use the wrists correctly.

Huh? Using a hammer doesn't include rotation or the hips. Swinging an axe overhead doesn't include rotation either (at least not when downward force is being produced.) If you are swinging an axe horizontally (or diagonally), when do you use your wrist?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06