Deceleration and Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
if the swing is ground up, the hips turn the middle (drag) .. If the swing is middle out, the core turns the hips. The hips resist this turn which creates a deceleration of the trunk to catapult the arms/hands and bat. A funneling of energy.

So If one is closed or stays square with the feet and hips while getting FYB the middle can power the swing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So if there isn’t a way to decelerate the hips and trunk then another ‘catapult’ is needed.. say a violent hand turn from the top? AKA cast? or a hard and fast rotating upper body that only ends when it can’t go any farther? AKA drag?

Some say these patterns generate more FORCE and or SPEED . I don’t think I would argue that..

the reason why direction and a shorter swing is necessary is why so many leave the game before they want too. These patterns aren’t very efficient. If only one side of the plate can be hit or changes in velocity can’t be adjusted too, what good is the ‘extra’ force and speed as the pitching gets better?

These other 2 patterns mentioned lead to poor direction, minimal plate coverage as well as a longer time to contact. Which leads to more swings and misses, earlier decision making which ends in getting fooled more.

Jmho.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
yup. What’s your point?
The hips can't turn themselves. Thelegs assist/react to the core muscles turning the hips. As far as decel. I dont think I would try to teach it. Throw a bat as far as you can your body should become a natural catapult with decel. That hips reversing is more a natural attempt not to lose balance. I don't think you teach that either. Somebody might hurt themselves.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The hips can't turn themselves.
As far as decel. I dont think I would try to teach it. Throw a bat as far as you can your body should become a natural catapult with decel. That hips reversing is more a natural attempt not to lose balance. I don't think you teach that either. Somebody might hurt themselves.

The legs stabilize the hips. The core torques because of reciprocal movement of the pelvis and trunk. If the legs don’t stabilize you’re just spinning. No direction. If the right intent isn’t learned, deceleration/direction won’t be as efficient. Everything is a teach and a no teach.

Trout does daily drills to decelerate his hips. I guess he needed to be taught.

The core rotates the pelvis which rotates the legs. The back leg/foot resists which decelerates the pelvis and then the trunk.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The legs stabilize the hips. The core torques because of reciprocal movement of the pelvis and trunk. If the legs don’t stabilize you’re just spinning. No direction. If the right intent isn’t learned, deceleration/direction won’t be as efficient. Everything is a teach and a no teach.

The core rotates the pelvis which rotates the legs. The back leg/foot resists which decelerates the pelvis and then the trunk.

Guerrero's x- factor is thru the roof here. This could cause back injury to some. His back leg/ glute assist the torso/abs.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Also TTB guys take a look . He pretty close to tip and rip. Very adjustable too. Angel fans would know, "From the the head toe the toes- anything goes!".

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Guerrero's x- factor is thru the roof here. This could cause back injury to some. His back leg/ glute assist the torso/abs.

assist ? I prefer enables proper rotation and spacing through posture and efficient energy transfer. It should be glute to glute basically.

I don’t see a good x-factor stretch hurting anything. Just goes to show how athletic the swing really is and can be.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Also TTB guys take a look . He pretty close to tip and rip. Very adjustable too. Angel fans would know, "From the the head toe the toes- anything goes!".

I think what should be noted in the Vlad gif is how the barrels initial ‘turn’ is synced to the cores rotation. Goes to show whats powering what imo.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"It should be glute to glute basically. "

Well put. Never heard it put that way. I like that. Just stood up and tried it. Every once in a while you come up with a gem. LOL

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
"It should be glute to glute basically. "

Well put. Never heard it put that way. I like that. Just stood up and tried it. Every once in a while you come up with a gem. LOL

I didnt come up with anything .. not sure why you need to grade my posts verbally.. A simple ‘like’ will suffice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar