Deceleration and Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
do the first and second progression. I teach land ‘square’ to the plate or even a bit closed;
This is the only piece of advice I ever remember anybody telling me with regards to hitting. My college coach told
me to work on it between my Frosh and Soph years. I did all summer and it worked, I was hitting a lot better my soph. year before I quit.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
There was a big guy (muscular), long drive champion, he talked about cracking the whip at contact on Sport Science. He was attempting to break several force plates. He showed and said when, at contact, that's when all the energy is funneled into the ball (swing).

Jan 28, 2017
Decelerating is a result of the sequence... Not a deliberate movement.

do the first and second progression. I teach land ‘square’ to the plate or even a bit closed; play with it, find her best/most comfortable foot ‘direction’.. stride direction matters as far as deceleration of the hips. That should cure the spinning.

She hits from a neck slot and normally gets loaded really well. She does lose the high connection with her hands sometimes during the second step. Also, she tries to go get the ball sometimes instead of getting to the exit and releasing. At times she jerks or pulls away from the ball at contact. The spinning is because she is disconnected from one the problems above. Now sometimes she stays connected high and gets to the exit and it's really good. You will see five swings that are really good and then 5 and go where did that come from.

I see the deceleration when connected but was just confused with the talk about trying to decelerate.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Hyper hip mobility, big separation between hips and core much like Josh D. Not necessarily for more power but more about taking the slack out.

A few things I notice are the hips are square until the core pulls on them.. the barrel ‘turns’ when the core turns... the second ‘turn’ of the barrel is synced to the decel of the trunk.

As well as reverse rotation of the hips after contact due to resistance/decel of the lower body anchor. Imo, the main contributor to creating a good deceleration pattern.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There was a big guy (muscular), long drive champion, he talked about cracking the whip at contact on Sport Science. He was attempting to break several force plates. He showed and said when, at contact, that's when all the energy is funneled into the ball (swing).

this is how I believe you strike a baseball/softball as well.

Jul 29, 2013
[Tango, post: 552273, member: 15496"]
I understand the theory behind deceleration and the bat flying forward but when and how do you decelerate? When do your hips and shoulders stop? Or am I missing something big time?
[/QUOTE]
I never understood the desire for deceleration. Never could work it out physics -wise. I view the core stretch, accelerarion and deceleration like this....
#1 We were doing some high speed running drills where we would attach a huge elastic band to a sprinter and a fixed point. The sprinter would back away from the fixed point, stretching the band to its max, and then proceed to allow the band to assist in accelerating her forward toward the fixed point. It was effective for a few steps and became less effective as the sprinter advanced.
#2 Attach 2 sprinters to the opposite ends of the band. Sprinter 1 accelerates until the slack is removed and pulls sprinter 2. Sprinter 1 keeps accelerating and pulls sprinter 2 at a faster acceleration rate.

Decelerating the hips so the shoulders are pulled is like scenario #1.
Continued rotation of the hips is like scenario #2. The core is stretched before and during the shoulder turn. (The batter must swing deep to avoid pulling off of the ball)
Take your pick.
BTW....The action of a whip isn't due to the deceleration of the handle. It's due to the change of vector, angular momentum, and the decreasing size of the whip media and it's subsequent ability to turn at a smaller radius. Bats don't have this ability but they can store energy via flexible handles.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Baseball Rebellion has an article for paiding custumers. I'm not a fan of Baseball Rebellion. I do follow Casey Smith and he talks about deceleration a lot but never really explains on twitter what he is talking about. It looks good but I'm not following what he is saying.