Deceleration and Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
I understand the theory behind deceleration and the bat flying forward but when and how do you decelerate? When do your hips and shoulders stop? Or am I missing something big time?

Nov 16, 2017
Deceleration happens the moment you put your front heel down. Your forward movement is arrested energy is transferred from back to front into a firm front side. Your lowerbody decelerates while you upper body accelerates, Upper body deceleration would be after extension. There is some argument of whether there is deceleration of the hips to whip the arms but most of that hip deceleration occurs after contact.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Deceleration happens the moment you put your front heel down. Your forward movement is arrested energy is transferred from back to front into a firm front side. You lowerbody decelerates while you upper body accelerates, Upper body deceleration would be after extension. The is some argument of whether there is deceleration of the hips to whip the arms but most of that hip declaration occurs after contact.

How far do your hips go and how far do your shoulders go?

Jan 28, 2017
depends on pitch location and timing. as well as set up aka stance and mobility. Think Trout and JD.

also don’t think shoulders, the measurement would be hips and trunk.

Understand but I don't understand how you teach deceleration. I know it happens to some degree but not sure how you teach it. My DD can crush the ball for her size (isn't consistent), she tends to go after the ball with her arms and get disconnected on a lot of swings. It seems to me that staying connected until contact is what causes deceleration but really don't know.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Heavy bag. Or do a short follow through and hold the barrel position. Anything similar where you are accelerating and decelerating.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Understand but I don't understand how you teach deceleration. I know it happens to some degree but not sure how you teach it. My DD can crush the ball for her size (isn't consistent), she tends to go after the ball with her arms and get disconnected on a lot of swings. It seems to me that staying connected until contact is what causes deceleration but really don't know.

I don't understand why you would want to teach deceleration. IMO, deceleration happens as a result of a good movement sequence. I don't ever want to tell my DD to slow anything down.

Jan 28, 2017
You are hoping to 'teach' decelerating?

I just want to understand the people that are teaching deceleration. I know what I think they are talking about but not sure. I hear them say it but never explain it. Some say it's wrong. I don't know enough to say either way.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

If the middle is the mover(rotator)and the hips are the Primary decelators to begin, things will work into place.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying