Deceleration and Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Casey Smith, which I like a lot. Had a clip a few days ago and said to put the brakes on to get the whip or something like that. I don't understand putting the brakes on or when. That kinda happens.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you keep the rear leg resisting its ‘turn’ initially, the pelvis will get turned in front of the rear leg and the middle will do the pulling. The rear leg should try to resist throughout. No IR in the back hip.

Notice the middle pull the rear hip. Notice how he lands closed.

Jan 28, 2017
I understand that your need to stay on the ball which will keep you from spinning. Staying on line with the ball leads to deceleration, IMO. Spinning does not, IMO. Why are people telling hitters to put on the brakes?

I'm an old football coach and one of the greatest HS football coaches once was asked a question and his answer always stuck with me. Can you believe a rival coach only practiced for hour today and went to play golf? Well if he starts winning I'm going to do that. I always search for answers but don't always use what I find out.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The body rotates as needed. The brakes are present from the forward move. They are always ‘ready’ IF you’re moving properly... it can be a no teach if the torso engine and back leg anchor are intact and the right intent is present.

with that being said... affordance of the ground is a problem as well as balance. Both of these hinder any chance of the torso engine being used correctly and the ‘brakes’ being applied as needed. Make sense?

putting ‘on’ the brakes imo doesn’t make sense. Do you have an example of how a coach is using that phrase? Maybe he is speaking of something else.

Jan 28, 2017
The body rotates as needed. The brakes are present from the forward move. They are always ‘ready’ IF you’re moving properly... it can be a no teach if the torso engine and back leg anchor are intact and the right intent is present.

with that being said... affordance of the ground is a problem as well as balance. Both of these hinder any chance of the torso engine being used correctly and the ‘brakes’ being applied as needed. Make sense?

putting ‘on’ the brakes imo doesn’t make sense. Do you have an example of how a coach is using that phrase? Maybe he is speaking of something else.

Just seen it a lot lately and don't understand how you could try to teach it. I do think it happens but don't think you can teach it.

DD is 13 and 5.4 and 120 pounds. She hits absolute rockets for her size and age but. Today in BP- she hit a couple of shots and then hit one that hit the top of the fence and the coach said it was still rising. We have had some very good MS players over the last few years and he said it was hardest ball he has ever seen hit at the MS level. Then nothing and he told her to stop trying to hit it over the gym. Wouldn't you was her answer with big smile. I wasn't at practice today but I'm sure she started spinning and disconnected. Hoping that I could find a cue that would keep her from spinning. When she stays on line she can hit with anyone but not mature enough or disciplined enough to do it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Just seen it a lot lately and don't understand how you could try to teach it. I do think it happens but don't think you can teach it.

DD is 13 and 5.4 and 120 pounds. She hits absolute rockets for her size and age but. Today in BP- she hit a couple of shots and then hit one that hit the top of the fence and the coach said it was still rising. We have had some very good MS players over the last few years and he said it was hardest ball he has ever seen hit at the MS level. Then nothing and he told her to stop trying to hit it over the gym. Wouldn't you was her answer with big smile. I wasn't at practice today but I'm sure she started spinning and disconnected. Hoping that I could find a cue that would keep her from spinning. When she stays on line she can hit with anyone but not mature enough or disciplined enough to do it.

do the first and second progression. I teach land ‘square’ to the plate or even a bit closed; play with it, find her best/most comfortable foot ‘direction’.. stride direction matters as far as deceleration of the hips. That should cure the spinning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30