Blanket Waiver for D3

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Sounds to me like a lot of roster spots aren't going to be available for incoming freshmen.
College is expensive and College softball ain't easy. DD will either do a fast track Master's program(she could play) or she will graduate, move on and get a job. Dad has #2 DD starting college by the time #1 graduates.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sounds to me like a lot of roster spots aren't going to be available for incoming freshmen.

DD's team will have some players return for an extra year, but only those that are taking graduate courses. And only those that can fit softball in their schedule with their graduate program. Most will leave after their academic senior year.

DD is undecided at this point. She will remain for graduate work, but isn't sure she will be able to play softball at that time. She is currently a junior, so she still has time to think about it. It is nice to have the option.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
DD's team will have some players return for an extra year, but only those that are taking graduate courses. And only those that can fit softball in their schedule with their graduate program. Most will leave after their academic senior year.

DD is undecided at this point. She will remain for graduate work, but isn't sure she will be able to play softball at that time. She is currently a junior, so she still has time to think about it. It is nice to have the option.
Who decides this and which graduate programs allow for softball?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Who decides this and which graduate programs allow for softball?
I don't the the graduate programs decide anything. I think first the coach needs to have a conversation with the player whether or not they are welcome back. Next, the graduate program might involve night classes or studies that interfere with practice and game times which will determine whether or not playing ball is even feasible. There are no graduated (4)Srs. coming back for an extra year on DD's team. One went to Kansas State for Vet school, another is staying on campus for Master's program(she could actually compete for the all time HR record), another couldn't make it back from injury, another Jr is graduating this fall, and the last Sr. got a job.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I would think certain graduate programs would have some say. My ball player had to give up her spot and scholarship to complete her RN program. School won't allow both.

Jun 8, 2016
What graduate program would allow for softball? I figure not many, especially at a D-1 school.
Probably those that require a large amount of labs and/or clinicals and don't want to have to deal with juggling things around to cater to an athlete..most academic programs get zero money from athletics...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478