DD turns her drive foot just a bit on delivery

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2013
Stoddard, WI
OK

I have read all the post above and the sticky's from BM and JS. Very good info and we are blessed to have DFP as a resource. Here lies my dilemma. I think I learned that turning the foot on the rubber a modest amount is ok as there are no absolutes and many successful pitchers have or continue to do it. I have my own improvised version of the red box and that may over-correct the foot turn scenario. What I am going through with my 14 year old DD is I feel her foot turn on the rubber leads to improper follow through with her drive foot/leg. Now that she is turning more on the rubber she is dragging her foot along the side with her heal down instead of more toe down/heal up. How can I allow the foot turn but correct the foot drag. At this age she questions everything and I told her the side drag can lead to injury in ankle, knee and hip and excessive foot drag is actually slowing her down but that did not sell it, she knows more than me at this age. So after this long winded dissertation-how can I fix the toe drag while allowing some foot turn? Some drills etc would be appreciated. PS - I think was caused by two things. Fixing crow hopping and from pitching off carpet all winter inside instead of having dirt to dig into and make a rut that shows what you are doing.

Some drills or examples would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
OK

I have read all the post above and the sticky's from BM and JS. Very good info and we are blessed to have DFP as a resource. Here lies my dilemma. I think I learned that turning the foot on the rubber a modest amount is ok as there are no absolutes and many successful pitchers have or continue to do it. I have my own improvised version of the red box and that may over-correct the foot turn scenario. What I am going through with my 14 year old DD is I feel her foot turn on the rubber leads to improper follow through with her drive foot/leg. Now that she is turning more on the rubber she is dragging her foot along the side with her heal down instead of more toe down/heal up. How can I allow the foot turn but correct the foot drag. At this age she questions everything and I told her the side drag can lead to injury in ankle, knee and hip and excessive foot drag is actually slowing her down but that did not sell it, she knows more than me at this age. So after this long winded dissertation-how can I fix the toe drag while allowing some foot turn? Some drills etc would be appreciated. PS - I think was caused by two things. Fixing crow hopping and from pitching off carpet all winter inside instead of having dirt to dig into and make a rut that shows what you are doing.

Some drills or examples would be appreciated.

Thanks

Personally, I'm not all that concerned with how the foot drags. I'm more concerned with whether or not the stride leg stays square to(pointed to) the catcher during the initial phase of the drive/leap. I think turning the drive foot can cause the whole body to turn too early causing the drive/leap to be weak

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619