DD turns her drive foot just a bit on delivery

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Javasource adds a great deal of insight in this regard...

[video]http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/17307-drive-mechanics-10.html#post219200[/video]

Jun 18, 2012
Utah

I don't think that photo of Finch qualifies her as a "foot turner." It's after her stride foot kicks out. The clips I have of Finch show her, like Osterman, with a straight drive foot as she starts her drive off the pitching rubber.

I do agree with what you said earlier, "Turning the foot by itself is not an issue if everything else is fine. Since the vast majority of pitchers start with some degree of turn, why do something different unless it's part of a bigger problem?"

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Not a huge deal if its truly very small. However, this pre leap twist will cause a few issues.
1. Lack of a maxed out powerful leap
2. Light toe drag usually is a whole side of foot heavy drag.
3. When the heavy foot drag happens, it makes it harder to get all of her weight transferred onto the front side and then she can't get as much arm whip.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The drive mechanics sticky offers some excellent advice in this area (and others). There is a test suggested by starsnuffer posted in that thread that should help as well. Remember that not all pitchers are built the same. There will be differences in some things they do simply due to their anatomy.

NOTE: I believe starsnuffer's test is on page 4 of the sticky.

May 31, 2012
Java and bm say a little turn is ok and ken showed us several that turn and they do ok. Not a big deal.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I strongly agree with coach james--especially points 1 & 3. Some kids turn the whole body in an effort to get open. I like the cue of driving straight but allowing for a little foot turn if all else is in good shape.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I don't think that photo of Finch qualifies her as a "foot turner." It's after her stride foot kicks out. The clips I have of Finch show her, like Osterman, with a straight drive foot as she starts her drive off the pitching rubber.
To be fair, the same is true with Ueno. My concern is that folks hear that any turn is bad, zero in on it and try to fix something that might actually be a good thing for a kid.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
To be fair, the same is true with Ueno. My concern is that folks hear that any turn is bad, zero in on it and try to fix something that might actually be a good thing for a kid.

Oh, I agree! All three of my pitchers turn their drive foot to initiate their drives, and it drives be crazy. Why? Because two of the three aren't really driving out with an explosive drive. They are turning their legs, hips, shoulders as they initiate their drives, which I see as resulting in a very week drive. I'm currently working with them to keep things more square to the catcher as they initiate their drives so as to get a more explosive drive, together with landing on a firmer front side, so as to help them get more velocity. If they were getting explosive leaps landing on a firm front side with a turned foot start, I wouldn't bother them much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619