DD and Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
SCDad, this isn't about winning or losing. It's about talking this deal out. Its about ditching a dumb unsupported outdated notion to me.

I thought you stated your side in a respectful way and I am fine with it although we don't agree. The other guy is a complete jerkweed but you were not.

O.k., back at it. Baseball and softball are not the same game and boys and girls are different. A baseball pitcher finishes in a different position than a softball pitcher. Seems to me a sb pitcher is a wee bit more vulnerable than a bb pitcher at finish.

If they change the bats, I will rethink this. Like I said before though, if the other teams are using hot bats dd will be wearing a mask. I'm a ways from requiring the bubble wrap. I think slippery slope arguments are usually..... Impractical and stupid.

Gotta go. Going to go let my kids run with scissors while eating junk food but at least they will be wearing masks.

Because I do not agree with you I am a "jerkweed". Nice, you learn that at the ballfields?? Anyone that is wanting face masks mandated are a minority, pure and simple. Just got back from ASA Gold in Clearwater, I witnessed 2, yes 2, pitchers wearing them. Out of 64 teams only 2. I did not see every pitcher play but I watched a majority of them and not one injury from lack of wearing one. No problem with the ones wearing them but what this is telling me is that it is not a MAJOR concern among the parents, ANY of the governing bodies, coaches, or the players. And no this isn't about winning or losing, it is about certain people taking isolated incidents and using them to TRY to make rules. There are around 400,000 girls playing softball and millions upon millions of pitches thrown every year and how many injuries from line drives back at the pitcher or any other positioon for that matter??? According to the forum there are at least 7 or 8 every game they watch. But how many actually? A very very minute percentage. Here is the study done by UNC. The number of injuries is almost non existant. Not to mention the majority of traumatic injuries in baseball and softball are from collisions not ball contact. So I am done because until the rule is changed there is no argument, you guys can stay on your high horse because you know SO MUCH MORE than everybody else.

LOVE,
JERKWEED

2.jpg

Oct 25, 2009
so you are telling me you would drive head on into traffic if there were no center lines painted?? the rules aren't the problem in your case, sounds more like you are lacking common sense. if you need someone to tell you every aspect of how to plan your day safely then face masks would be the least of your worries

Those center lines are for people that use logic similar to yours. One of the reasons we have so many "rules" is because some people don't use common sense. Common sense tells ME that if I stand a reasonable chance of getting hit in the face with a ball I would be wise to use a mask.

Most catchers I've seen and most plate umpires use common sense. I have seen a couple "umpires" who didn't—and paid a price.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I got kicked in the face, swimming on Thurs. It was the hardest I have ever been hit. I think I have a borderline concussion. I can't imagine what a full, serious one would feel like. I think that people should avoid a concussion, if at all possible.

Oct 25, 2009
Because I do not agree with you I am a "jerkweed". Nice, you learn that at the ballfields?? Anyone that is wanting face masks mandated are a minority, pure and simple. Just got back from ASA Gold in Clearwater, I witnessed 2, yes 2, pitchers wearing them. Out of 64 teams only 2. I did not see every pitcher play but I watched a majority of them and not one injury from lack of wearing one. No problem with the ones wearing them but what this is telling me is that it is not a MAJOR concern among the parents, ANY of the governing bodies, coaches, or the players. And no this isn't about winning or losing, it is about certain people taking isolated incidents and using them to TRY to make rules. There are around 400,000 girls playing softball and millions upon millions of pitches thrown every year and how many injuries from line drives back at the pitcher or any other positioon for that matter??? According to the forum there are at least 7 or 8 every game they watch. But how many actually? A very very minute percentage. Here is the study done by UNC. The number of injuries is almost non existant. Not to mention the majority of traumatic injuries in baseball and softball are from collisions not ball contact. So I am done because until the rule is changed there is no argument, you guys can stay on your high horse because you know SO MUCH MORE than everybody else.

LOVE,
JERKWEED

View attachment 4300

Using that logic, I believe most people don't need to wear seat belts, either.

Dec 11, 2010
It's not that you disagree with me.

It is the manner you present yourself and your argument.

I stand by my original assessment.

Apr 13, 2011
This discussion (argument) can be simplified. Let's try a cost/benefit analysis:

First - seat belts:
Cost: Takes 4 seconds to put on that you can spend doing something else.
Benefit: Decreases likelihood of a ticket and of getting maimed or killed.
Conclusion: Worth the time and effort.

Face mask for pitcher:
Cost: $50. Possible loss of scholarship. Possible diminished effectiveness. Possible discomfort.
Benefit: Decreases likelihood of getting teeth knocked out, eye socket fractured, concussion and brain injury, facial lacerations and the accompanying pain and reconstructive surgery.
Conclusion: A matter of opinion. In mine, if your DD is going to throw one pitch and then call it a career then the odds of a liner hitting her face and very low and you might want to skip it. However, if your DD is going to pitch tournament ball from 12U through high school she is going to eventually either have a liner hit her face or come damn close. So if you do not have your DD wear a mask while pitching you are basically an imbecile who does not understand odds, logic and probability. No offense.

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
Just saw a 2B take at grounder to her face, she was not a young or inexperienced player, either 16u or 18u. She was not playing in for a slapper just a hard hit ball with a funny bounce. She may well have an orbital fracture, never heard. My point is anyone discouraging a player from wearing a mask is taking a big risk with some other people’s health. All for the low percentage chance of a full ride. I would rather do everything I can to minimize my DD chances of suffering a facial or brain injury. She is pitching well and hitting has become a focus with huge improvement. She wears a mask on the rubber and when at first does not even argue any more. Well that's my.02 worth.

Jun 24, 2013
This reminds me of the starfish story which basically goes like this:
A man walking on the beach notices thousands of starfish washed up on the shore and sees that they are dying from drying out. As he walks further he sees a boy picking them up andf throwing them back, just past the breaking surf. He asks the boy "What are you doing?" The boy replied "I'm saving the starfish." "But" the man replied "There are thousands of them here. You will never make a difference." The boy continued unabated, picking up another one and throwing it back and saying, "I made a difference for that one!"
Another story that bears this lesson. Both of my daughters got iPod's for Christmas 2 years ago. Neither one of them got protective covers. On DD dropped her iPod a week later and cracked the screen, my other DD has dropped her numerous times and until last week, nearly 2 years later, had not sufferred a cracked screen until that day. The ironic thing is that after the first DD dropped hers, we bought protectors for the iPods ( I repaired the cracked screen) and my DD who broke her screen last week was in possession of a protector, but decided not to have it on there because she had decorated it and decided that her decorations made it look "uncool" so she removed it.
So I think of the facemask as insurance, put in on and hope I never need it, but am darn glad it is there when and if the impact ever happens. So if you think you are fine without it, then that is your choice and I won't judge you on it. But for me and mine, they will wear it. Hopefully the colleges will become more open to it and not try to become distractors of this safety device.

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
I do not disagree with you Out in left field but I can't take a hot (legal) bat out of your DD's or anyone else's hands so I choose to put a mask on my DD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi