DD and Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
Since this thread just won't die, I'll add to it. I believe in players being free to choose a mask or no mask. By that I mean I don't need a rule making it mandatory for every infielder. My daughter happily wears one all the time. Good thing since she is MY daughter I would insist on it anyway. A maskless pitcher on another diamond last week in Des Moines took a line drive to the forehead, she was fine, but still. I'm posting this to show that baseball and softball are not the same.

Sport Science: The Speed of Softball - ESPN Video - ESPN

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My dd ALWAYS wears her mask as of last year. I simply said she will not pitch without it...PERIOD! (She of course rolls her eyes and gives me attitude)
Last week she took a line dive off her knee cap while pitching. It was so fast I can't describe it. She hadn't even finished rotating her hips back to square and getting set defensively before the ball was bouncing off her. Point is, that same hit could have been to her face. She realizes this and said she will never argue with me again about wearing it. If a college coach says he/she won't take a player with a mask... that's not a coach we want to play with!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
We just played an 8U tournament this weekend and only about 70% of the pitchers wore masks.

But what I found really funny was by golly every batter had to have a chin strap to bat. Really a chin strap is mandated? I mean I understand the helmet and face guard but a chin strap is crucial safety equipment at 8U but a mask for pitchers is not?

Again I won't cast any dispersions on those who chose not to wear a mask if they want to take that risk go for it but it won't be my DD out there w/o the mask.

Oct 25, 2009
Does anyone have twins that are one boy one girl? Better yet before baseball fixed their bats? Anyone clammering for masks in baseball? I personally have seen several baseball injuries in person, and they are more than bad--very hard and direct hits with hardly any of the impact dissipated. Personally never seen a bad softball injury from the ball.

We could make the softball infield grass to protect that girls. Wouldn't that be interesting.

I've heard that girls don't have to wear safety cups because their brains are in their head.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole