DD and Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
That is so sad about the little boy. We had a similar accident happen to a catcher in Winslow AZ. It must just be one of those freaky things. My son was 10 or so, when a line drive broke his jaw. The doctors said then, that if he would have been hit in the neck or the temple it could have killed him.

I wish they could change the baseball and softball. Heck, it is 2013 and we can't figure this out?

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Bianca Mejia, who plays PROFESSIONALLY at SS, always wears a mask since she took one to the face and suffered facial injuries and a concussion. Bianca realizes another hit like that & chances are she'll have permanent brain damage like many multiple-concussion NFL players.

?? She wasn't wearing one in yesterday's game vs the Pride. Wonder what happened there? She made some good plays though!

I am a proponent of it being a choice. Not mandated, but not frowned upon either. We don't need more nanny state rules and laws.

I still don't get the idea of it being considered a confidence thing. I guess some kids may use it for confidence, but labeling everyone who wears a mask as lacking confidence? Really??

Dec 20, 2012
Slingnut, I didn't answer you because it's a round robin argument. It's not a rule, so therefore you can choose what you want. You should actually would go back and re-read what I have been writing, I said IF mandatory masks became a rule then the girls would get used to it just as they did when they made masks for the helmets mandatory... And that there has to be a fatality BEFORE they make it a rule, and that is sad.

Yes things happen all the times on the field and you cannot protect from every injury. But just as some have mentioned, mandatory seatbelt laws and helmet laws came into effect for our own protection.

Now IMO, yes I think it should be mandatory for pitchers.... Happy now?

OOOOHHHHH mr big time been through it before huh? I don't believe you in the slightest, because if you have been through traumatic brain injuries you would be on the bubblewrap side. Now go back to your gator hunting TV show.

you are a commplete idiot!! IF you read what I have posted you would have read that my dd had a line drive to the face, I put her in a mask, and SHE(being able to make big girl decisions) chose not to wear it. did I say I have had a traumatic head injury?? NO, I said my family has experienced the issue of line drives back to the face. LEARN TO READ!!! I also said if it is a rule then she will be wearing one. WOW, your inability to comprehend what I have written is amazing. If it's a round robin argumentand not a rule then there is NO argument. IT IS NOT A RULE!

line drive back at her, from bat to chin, fractured jaw in 2 places,7-8 stitches...
303528_271126619578307_1461859075_n.jpg

Jul 2, 2013
What everyone chooses to ignore, is the problem is much in the national spotlight in BASEBALL. Where fatalities have occurred, as well as serious brain injuries.

The path is going to limiting the BAT technology. And I have to admit, this is the right track.

It is a BAT problem, period. Not a MASK problem.

Use bats made ten years ago, and the problem goes away. At present, most every 16U and 18U ballplayer can hit a home run when the ball is struck just right. Get the game back to where it was, only the REAL power hitters can go deep.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I always believed that the masks would follow them as they got older as well , but I start to see fewer. My DD has always worn one while playing 3B , but this year (2nd year 14u) she says she feels like she doesn't need it anymore. Nobody has ever said anything negative to her about the mask. She just doesn't feel it is a necessity any longer. So , reluctantly , I have let her try the last few tournaments without it. So far , so good (or lucky)

IMO, I still think that as the younger ones move up masks will become more prevalent. We are still at the stages where masks aren't as popular with the older kids as they are with the younger ones. As that phases out, I think we will see more and more continue to wear them because others are too.

Jul 2, 2013
NOT Gonna happen.

Colleges DO LIKE LIKE Masks. How many different ways do you have to hear it, and stay in denial.

Why is this so. Because colleges are trying to grow softball ... money, that is. Do you not think studies have been done behind closed doors? ... and concluded the general public much prefer the stars (pitchers) be without masks. It is a fact, my friends, and the sole reason as a player gets older masks start to disappear.

Colleges, and the sanctioning bodies, do not change because Susie's Mom and Dad are scared.

It is in the BATS, the chosen path, to resolve this problem that some of you youngsters want to focus on. Not the masks. Stay in denial, post on message boards all you want, but will not change one thing.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I disagree with that assessment ^^^ and only time will tell the true story.

I still say that it should be a choice. Not mandated and not frowned on.

Either you can play or you can't and a mask or lack of a mask has nothing to do with it.

Jul 2, 2013
Time IS telling the story NOW. A few years ago they dis-allowed the softball bats with the extremely flexible handles. Softball is continually not sanctioning the new "hot" bats. Baseball has de-rated the bats in college, to mimic the wood bats. Going forward, the softball bats used only a few years ago, and the great performance, will never be seen again. LL baseball is de-rating bats.

Not once, except on message boards, are masked even thought about as being mandated. You are simply in DENIAL, as the changes are happening right in front and is chosen to be ignored here.

Masks are optional, because our legal society demands as such.

Oct 25, 2009
Time IS telling the story NOW. A few years ago they dis-allowed the softball bats with the extremely flexible handles. Softball is continually not sanctioning the new "hot" bats. Baseball has de-rated the bats in college, to mimic the wood bats. Going forward, the softball bats used only a few years ago, and the great performance, will never be seen again. LL baseball is de-rating bats.

Not once, except on message boards, are masked even thought about as being mandated. You are simply in DENIAL, as the changes are happening right in front and is chosen to be ignored here.

I wondered why they were optional. The legal society! Bet that's why we have center lines on the highways.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

Thank you for your input SCdad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball