DD and Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2009
I do not want to start yet another mask or no mask debate, but I am interested if others are experiencing the following. My DD has been pitching and wearing a mask since 12u. It was never an issue for her until this year (rising Sophomore and plays 16u). As the recruiting interest has started SHE (not us or even any coach) has told us she would prefer not to wear her mask. She understands the danger, understands it "only takes one line drive", understands that the result could be very serious, etc. Her reasoning is she feels more confident pitching and she feels like she can field her position much better.

To be clear, if I wanted to I could put my foot down but instead after a long conversation I let her pitch a game without the mask. And she was lights out. And since that game she has pitched without it. My DW understandably is concerned but after going to the Univ. of Ariz camp she saw the other top pitchers did not wear them either. Sidenote: I really, really recommend the Candrea Elite Camp. He was personally hands-on and my DD loved it!!

So I am finally to my point. :) I always assumed the younger players as they got older would bring the masks to the next level. But if my DD is any indication that may not occur. Maybe they just stop wearing them as they get older? Again I am not interested in debating masks but curious if others with DDs getting older are going through or have gone through the same thing?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
I always believed that the masks would follow them as they got older as well , but I start to see fewer. My DD has always worn one while playing 3B , but this year (2nd year 14u) she says she feels like she doesn't need it anymore. Nobody has ever said anything negative to her about the mask. She just doesn't feel it is a necessity any longer. So , reluctantly , I have let her try the last few tournaments without it. So far , so good (or lucky)

Jun 24, 2013
Arguable the best pitcher in our League took her mask off pitching against us because she was struggling. Finicky bunch pitchers are, I have one. I find it hard to believe it makes a difference but I can understand the peer pressure.

There are more mask is college and HS ball, nothing compared to the younger ages yet.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
All I can say is my DD fought me tooth and nail for years not wanting to wear one.................until at 17 she got hit by a line drive to the face. The first thing she said as we left the emergency room was "guess its time for a mask". Now she wears it religiously. I hope it never takes a "lesson" for others to realize its a wonderful valid option.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
All I can say is my DD fought me tooth and nail for years not wanting to wear one.................until at 17 she got hit by a line drive to the face. The first thing she said as we left the emergency room was "guess its time for a mask". Now she wears it religiously. I hope it never takes a "lesson" for others to realize its a wonderful valid option.

It is a very valid option and I would prefer she wear it. But , just like when she starts driving a car pretty soon , I cant be there to stop all things that could harm her. I wish the masks would just become mandatory just like batting helmets

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Having seen what I see come near and at the face, I will never let a granddaughter pitch without one. Fine. She can go play outfield. If my $$ is paying for her activities, I have rules.

Oct 3, 2009
I appreciate all the replies. They are all excellent. Again I am not looking to open the debate on masks again. And to be clear I could just declare she must wear a mask and she would. Over the years of playing catch and her pitching to me we have developed like many of you a unique relationship because of the massive amount of time we have spent together. So in one of those sessions she raised the issue and I initially said no but we discussed it more and like I say I let her do it.

This issue with the mask is against a backdrop of a year where she has gained enormous confidence in her abilities and a maturity about how she goes about her business that is truly different and I cannot probably adequately explain. I think part of it is due to the recruiting interest and her suddenly realizing this could be something she truly can do in college. So my real question is: I am sure others have seen this kind of thing and is the mask thing something others have seen as well?

Feb 3, 2011
A parent of one of DD's teammates recently made a remark about the girls wearing masks, saying that a coach of hers told her that she would not be recruited to play in college if she wore a mask. I know many of us have similar stories.

Mojo isn't on the recruiting track yet, but her focus is on what she plans to do AFTER college. She hopes to work in television as a sports anchor, so she wants to make sure her face is protected. I applaud her for making the right decision for her future and hope other players and families are able to make the best decisions for their situations.

Oct 25, 2009
AndyS, I understand your dilemma. You want your DD to be happy and successful. But, in my opinion, she is at the most dangerous level at this age. If at all possible have her wear the mask for two more years. She might not ever get hit but if she does and she is wearing her mask it will be much more fun talking about what could have happened instead of what did happen.

I admire her courage and confidence but the risk of a lifetime of pain and suffering is just not worth it. Google facial injuries with her and discuss it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild