Cutting the arm circle shorter on the riseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Has anybody's daughter experienced a tingling in their fingertips when they start cutting their arm circle shorter on the riseball? By cutting, I am talking about more of a "upside down egg shape " appearing downswing thru whip and release on a riseball vs. a more circular downswing. My daughter spent the past 6 months on the circular motion and now her pitching coach is having her try out the sharper cut. Everything is the same in the motion, he is just having her try and pull it down sooner. He warned her of this ahead of time and is consistently asking her if she is having that feeling. He warned of the possibility of feeling tingling in her fingertips and what to do to avoid it. He said that it would be caused by a hyperextension of her arm and that she needed to be aware of this. She picked up quite a bit of speed on that pitch by doing this and is not having any tingling but I still wanted to see if others daughters might have had this feeling sometimes. He acted like he wished she was a little older/stronger before doing this (she's 13) and was very particular about her remaining aware.

I see college pitchers whose arm circles look like this. Any thoughts?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
There is no 'Circle' made when you are driving forward and trying to make an arm circle. It is more in the shape of an egg and it is much more effocoent and makes for a faster ball speed too.

With a cut riseball, there can be several possible culprits that can cause a tingling in the fingers. Between the shoulder, upper arm, forarm , hand and fingers, obviously, the smallest blood vessels are in the fingers. Same thing goes for the ner4ves and their size.

A ;arge vein or nerve could be getting impinged ( pinched) farther up the arm and it is being felt in the fingers. This is quite common in pitchers that have been taught to 'Make the biggest arm circle you can make'. They end up hyperextending the shoulder at 12:99 and piching something off just enough to cause it to be felt farther 'down the line'.

Prome suspect are always the joints; Sholder, elbow and / or wrist. If it gets worse the next thing I would expect os for one of the joints to start aching / swelling or feeling some pain.

I wi;; usw my old injuries from a truck wreck in 1986 as an example. Many injuries from that and one is to the vertebrae right where the neck attaches to the spine. If it gets a little out of place, I get an 'impingement' in my shoulder. The first place I can sometomes feel ot os on the end of my little finger/ A little worse and I feel it in the elbow and little finger. A trip to the chiropractor and Humoty Dumpty gets put back together again.

Your malady is pretty common.

The point I am striving to make here is that, just because you feel discomfort at the far end of a limb, that does not always mean that is where the underlying problem is.

Also keep in mind that if the ffingers also get cold to the touch, you are losing circulation and have a more serious thing going on, Check with an MD and get their opinion.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying