Keeping the arm bent on backside of arm circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 11, 2020
I feel like my DD can keep her arm bent when going slow but when she speeds up she likes to straighten her arm. I feel this is her missing link to get to the next level. Any drills or ideas you can recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This can be really hard to change. I can focus on it and make a change, a kid can supposedly focus on it and never change. You can still have proper ball positioning, to internally rotate, IR. You just might lose the battle of having a bent elbow, depending on her age and how long she’s pitched.

I have video, of bent and not so bent. Just don’t lock up the elbow. This is a Rise.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020
Ok wow…that gives me hope! I notice some girls have no problem w bent arm and others like my DD just can’t do it when she goes full pitch. And we have worked on this for years!

Jan 28, 2017
Two things that helped my DD- 1. pull the ball with your hand/forearm to approximately 11 o’clock and then relax the forearm and drive the elbow down (most continuously pull with the forearm. 2. Keep the forearm loaded or up instead of think of keeping the ball up.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Ok wow…that gives me hope! I notice some girls have no problem w bent arm and others like my DD just can’t do it when she goes full pitch. And we have worked on this for years!

I have one that will not change, so I’m going to focus on her drive. Which is non existent, she is over striding. Used the Queen of hill last last night for the first time. I love this low tech device. Very revealing. She was very happy when she did it correctly. It came set at 3 to 4, they couldn’t make in clink. Had to set at 1 like they suggested. When I told her sister there is still an advanced spring and we are starting on level 1 of the normal spring, her jaw dropped.

Sep 1, 2021
I've seen some recommend to start the pitch with your palm facing the catcher and maintain that through the first half of the circle.

Feb 11, 2020
Yep have tried all that stuff still turn the ball over when going hard. Also as far as her drive it’s pretty good. So… keeping the bend in her arm is the missing link for us for whip and speed.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I feel like my DD can keep her arm bent when going slow but when she speeds up she likes to straighten her arm. I feel this is her missing link to get to the next level. Any drills or ideas you can recommend?

Post a video and you'll get better advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812