Keeping the arm bent on backside of arm circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 21, 2016
I was hoping someone was going to have some ground breaking advice . My daughter has struggled with this for years. She has received some unbelievable coaching through her pitching years (currently a sophomore) from several on this board. But a straight arm as always been a struggle. Hers actually starts earlier because she gets very little hook.

She has worked and worked but still struggles when she goes full bore. If you haven’t tried, maybe try keeping the ball in her glove (no backswing). I still feel like this may be the best option for my daughter but she didn’t love it so we abandoned that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 25, 2022
I've seem some improvement with my daughter after working on front side redmsistance and posture. That locked out arm seems to be common for the girls that are facing the catcher and bowling.

When they turn toward the catcher and lean forward as the plant leg bends, the shoulder is driving forward as the arm is moving backward, creating opposing forces and contributing to that arm opening up more.

Feb 11, 2020
DSU10 she does ball out of glove style already and her drive is also good. She can also keep bend and keep palm up if she goes slow. Frustrating to me because some girls have no problem with this and they are getting great whip. I feel we are still bowling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 17, 2019
I wonder if posture is the problem.... If she's actually bowling, then she must be clearing her hip. If she's clearing her hip, she's gotta have a lean or bend. Is she still getting brush? I wonder if giving her a cue of staying tall and feeling like there is a string pulling her head up and behind her a little at landing might do something. Video would help.

Jun 19, 2020
I feel like my DD can keep her arm bent when going slow but when she speeds up she likes to straighten her arm. I feel this is her missing link to get to the next level. Any drills or ideas you can recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using
Post some video as sluggers suggested. You will get some good feedback.

Sep 13, 2021
My daughter tended to muscle the ball and used her shoulder way too much. When she did this, her entire pitching arm was tight, which at times resulted in bend in the elbow, a shortened lever and less velo and spin. Not to mention throwing her off balance. It's taken a while to take the shoulder out of her motion and to replace it with, as others have described, a rip down with the elbow, but she's getting there. When this adjustment is dialed in, her arm naturally relaxes and straightens out and gets a lot whippier. Her PC has been telling her to rip that elbow down so hard that her shoulder can't get into the mix. That cue seems to have really helped.

Nov 17, 2017
Gonna try this pull down more... We're losing our minds and about to kill each other lol

I fell like she has Zero Whip when her arm is straight and actually comes away from the body....

#&@@%KJD@#%^!@I!!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
shoot some video and freeze it at 3. is there no bend or a slight bend? palm up or down? what does her body line look like, straight, leaning back or forward? where is her head in relation to her COG? where is her glove hand? how old is she and how well does she hit her spots? does she want to pitch as much as you want her to pitch?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Is the hand positioned properly, is the upper arm being pulled down? I think the arm is pulled downward. How much does it bend?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
Even tho, I'm losing my mind and waking up inthe middle of the night with sweats from pitching analysis....

I'll share a video I'm focusing on right now that may help others or spark some fiery debate - Trying to do a little less 'Circle" and a little more up and down...
For my kid I also know she needs to get that front foot down and lag the arm just a tweak more...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom