Crowding the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
To several posters point....umpires almost never make the strike call, a few years ago watched some of the Florida games every girl has an elbow pad and half of them stick their elbow out there to draw walk it was just pathetic and umpires didn't care where the ball was calling a strike never even crosses their mind....

IME, if it hits the batter, she gets the base. Doesn't matter where the body part is when it happens.

Apr 20, 2017
If it’s just one batter then go at them on corner or river with the heat. The pitcher has to have the mindset that it is their plate and will use any and all of it. Now if it is an entire team using that strategy then we just adjust our spots and stay low inside. Move the ball over towards the center of plate so you get the strike call but they can’t do anything with it. That is of course after trying to make the first few batters back off the plate.

Jul 31, 2019
IME, if it hits the batter, she gets the base. Doesn't matter where the body part is when it happens.

that's simply not true. If you are hanging in the strike zone when hit, its a strike. In USA/ASA, you have to make an attempt to get out of the way no matter where the pitch is or risk not getting awarded the base

Jun 12, 2015
that's simply not true. If you are hanging in the strike zone when hit, its a strike. In USA/ASA, you have to make an attempt to get out of the way no matter where the pitch is or risk not getting awarded the base

IME = in my experience. It simply IS true, in my experience.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Throw on inside corner. If any part of her hands/arms/elbows are over the plate, make sure your catcher points out to the umpire there are body parts in the strike zone.
No need to help the umpire do his job. Would you like the umpire telling your catcher how to catch? We know when the batter is in the strike zone.
But I agree, throw at the hands. She will pull foul or foul off her hands. And when she goes back in the dugout with a busted knuckle, you can bet none of the other batters will crowd the plate.

May 29, 2015
No need to help the umpire do his job. Would you like the umpire telling your catcher how to catch? We know when the batter is in the strike zone.
But I agree, throw at the hands. She will pull foul or foul off her hands. And when she goes back in the dugout with a busted knuckle, you can bet none of the other batters will crowd the plate.

I want to give that first part a “like” but the second part is keeping me from doing that. A pitcher should not be aiming at the batter and we should never be encouraging that. Throw a strike. You know where the plate is and it is yours. What the batter does is the batter’s problem.

Jul 20, 2019
I understand the point about not needing to help the umpire to do their job. But based on previous postings there is experience where batter gets the base even though they are hit in the strike zone. In this type of situation I think it would be warranted at least to raise it to the ump to understand, or at least point out, there was a difference between what they saw vs. what pitcher/catcher saw?

My DD hasn’t yet experienced this so just looking to give her some input on how to handle the situation if/when it happens. She’s first year 16U now so am sure it will come up again as hitters are better and more aggressive.

Jun 12, 2015
I understand the point about not needing to help the umpire to do their job. But based on previous postings there is experience where batter gets the base even though they are hit in the strike zone. In this type of situation I think it would be warranted at least to raise it to the ump to understand, or at least point out, there was a difference between what they saw vs. what pitcher/catcher saw?

Does this usually go well? I'm just wondering how the umpires we see (mid-level 12U was our last completed year - 14u now but so far all fall has rained out and we haven't played a single game) compare to the rest of the country. I know that I would drive the 5 hours to go play in Franklin, TN PGF tourneys anytime. We played one of those this past spring and were so impressed with the officials. VERY different from what we're used to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06