Crowding the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2019
If done right, giving the umpire a head’s up may not be a bad thing to do. Be aware though, the umpire cannot make the batter move off the plate.

It is not illegal for the batter to lean out over the plate ... up until the point that the pitch enters the same space. A ball that hits the batter in the strike zone is a dead ball strike.

M&R Davis may be right that many umps don’t like making that call ... but I have a touch of evil in me and I love making that call. Especially while the batter is running down to first base. It’s actually pretty rare though.

PS — just a bit of friendly advice ... I would highly recommend that you avoid saying the words “hit her” if you are coaching. Or parenting. Or playing. Just don’t say it.
How do you feel about "move her off the plate"?

Sep 29, 2014
To several posters point....umpires almost never make the strike call, a few years ago watched some of the Florida games every girl has an elbow pad and half of them stick their elbow out there to draw walk it was just pathetic and umpires didn't care where the ball was calling a strike never even crosses their mind....

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Not anymore. Now the kids are wearing the oversized elbow guards and leaning into the inside pitches. Most of the time it's a free base.

Reminds me of the joke my DDs PC told us:
"Who's the best batter in the lineup to hit with a pitch? The on-deck batter. They're not ready for it and they don't get to go to 1st base."
(Sorry if everyone's heard that one a thousand times already.)

Oct 4, 2018
Reminds me of the joke my DDs PC told us:
"Who's the best batter in the lineup to hit with a pitch? The on-deck batter. They're not ready for it and they don't get to go to 1st base."
(Sorry if everyone's heard that one a thousand times already.)

I'd never heard that one. Funny.

How cool would it be if some mouthy, bad-spirited girl on the other team was on deck and the pitcher beans her. That would be awesome. I wonder if they could act surprised enough not to get tossed.

"Uh.... ball one"

Jan 22, 2011
To several posters point....umpires almost never make the strike call, a few years ago watched some of the Florida games every girl has an elbow pad and half of them stick their elbow out there to draw walk it was just pathetic and umpires didn't care where the ball was calling a strike never even crosses their mind....

Unfortunately I've never seen it called either. One game last year my DD was catching and 5 girls got first base when HPB in the arm over the plate.

When I umpire, I look for it. I'm retired from coaching, but its something I'd probably protest in a bracket game if it happened more than once.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma