Crowding the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 20, 2019
DD (1st year 16U) pitched in a tourney over the weekend. Yesterday she had a batter crowd the plate on her the most she ever has had - toes on the inside line of the box. I was behind the plate and looked like she was hovering over half the plate.
It threw DD off, and she ended up walking her. She brought it up to me after the game and mentioned how much the girl was crowding the plate and how it impacted her.
Any thoughts on how she can handle this type of situation? Is there an approach to follow when someone crowds the plate to this extent?

Jul 31, 2019
Throw hard and in. If she can spin or locate down and in (preferred) or up and in that’s even better. If the batter is hit leaning in the strike zone, it’s a strike, no base awarded. If the toes touch the line while making contact she is out (new rule this year). In USA/ASA a hitter had to make an attempt to move out of the way of a pitched ball or the base is not awarded

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I believe the NCAA changed to the rule to the entire foot must be inside the lines of the batters box at contact with the ball. I could be wrong.

It is not in the changes to 2020/2021 rules doc I got. The only real major change is the ridiculous new pitching regs that no one was calling for. But early for doing anything NCAA related to my re-cert at the moment.