Coronavirus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2015
Not talking about the circumstances today. Why does iHSA state you can't play travel ball if your school has a team? And it doesn't even say if you are in a school team.

I'm not part of that decision making process, so ... one possible speculation is because IHSA has playing limits. Too easy to use travel ball to try to skirt the organization's rules. IHSA's mission statement (which may explain why):

The purpose of the IHSA is to provide leadership for the development, supervision and promotion of good sportsmanship in interscholastic competition and other activities in which its member schools choose to engage.

Because travel ball is more important then high school for many if not most.

Not sure if you are serious or sarcastic ... because arguments can be made either way. :unsure:
If you are suggesting they are trying to "lock in their" athletes, I can tell you that is wrong. This rule was around before the popularity of expensive status symbol rec ball ... uh ... travel ball.

Mar 6, 2018
CDC NEW RECOMMENDATIONS

Guidance as of 3/15/2020

Large events and mass gatherings can contribute to the spread of COVID-19 in the United States via travelers who attend these events and introduce the virus to new communities. Examples of large events and mass gatherings include conferences, festivals, parades, concerts, sporting events, weddings, and other types of assemblies. These events can be planned not only by organizations and communities but also by individuals.
Therefore, CDC, in accordance with its guidance for large events and mass gatherings, recommends that for the next 8 weeks, organizers (whether groups or individuals) cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.
Events of any size should only be continued if they can be carried out with adherence to guidelines for protecting vulnerable populations, hand hygiene, and social distancing. When feasible, organizers could modify events to be virtual.
This recommendation does not apply to the day to day operation of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning, or businessesThis recommendation is made in an attempt to reduce introduction of the virus into new communities and to slow the spread of infection in communities already affected by the virus. This recommendation is not intended to supersede the advice of local public health officials.

Oct 4, 2018
Indeed there will be a future. And yes, there are plenty of people still trying to play now. I’m talking to the people who are looking for fields since their local parks have shut down, people who are encouraging the kids to “get together anyway”, and the ones who are still trying to find ways to hold practices (either with their school or with their travel team since schools are saying NO).

JUST STOP IT! (I need a cool logo ... anybody?)

I don't know which of you follow which "Softball" groups on Facebook, but it seems like the most stubborn community in America right now. The majority want to keep playing and don't see any issue with it. It's insane.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I don't know which of you follow which "Softball" groups on Facebook, but it seems like the most stubborn community in America right now. The majority want to keep playing and don't see any issue with it. It's insane.

What's "insane"? That kids want to do what they do? Even considering the CDC guidance and some basic hygiene precautions, I don't see the danger with having a practice or even a scrimmage. It's typically outdoors, FFS. We're talking about a bug that's even less of a threat to kids than the influenza strains that kill thousands every year. I've lived long enough to have seen numerous disease scares, and have had bouts with things far scarier than COVID-19. The reaction to this is ridiculous. We all need to get a collective grip and look at this more rationally and longer term. It's not going away in four weeks, eight weeks, or eight months. Eventually, there will be some vaccine for it that the more at-risk people can get, but it's here. We'd best learn how to deal with it in some way better than shutting everything down.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Anna’s college just cancelled their softball season! 😡 She’s a freshman, it sucks but she’ll live, I feel truly sorry for the seniors, in college and high school!

I'm in Anna's boat as well with our season being cancelled. Oh well. At least I'll get to enjoy spring break at home near Philly even though I won't be able to go to a Phillies game.

Oct 4, 2018
What's "insane"? That kids want to do what they do? Even considering the CDC guidance and some basic hygiene precautions, I don't see the danger with having a practice or even a scrimmage. It's typically outdoors, FFS. We're talking about a bug that's even less of a threat to kids than the influenza strains that kill thousands every year. I've lived long enough to have seen numerous disease scares, and have had bouts with things far scarier than COVID-19. The reaction to this is ridiculous. We all need to get a collective grip and look at this more rationally and longer term. It's not going away in four weeks, eight weeks, or eight months. Eventually, there will be some vaccine for it that the more at-risk people can get, but it's here. We'd best learn how to deal with it in some way better than shutting everything down.

Of course it's not insane that kids want to play. What a silly question. What's insane is parents who want to play in next Saturday's big tournament despite all the evidence showing how dangerous and selfish that is. Parents who would risk lives for a 10U game of softball because they don't want to say "no" to little Sally.

Kids will bring it home from events and kill their parents and grandparents. It will happen. Might be hard to connect the dots for some, but it will happen. It's happened in other countries in the last few days, but why acknowledge that evidence when it makes us uncomfortable.

Shutting everything down is the way to deal with it. I'll take advice on this topic from doctors, CDC, scientists, leaders and historians. Not internet strangers.

I know it's hard to fathom. Head in the sand and ignoring evidence is easy. I get it. And the points you make show you aren't understanding. It's about not overwhelming the healthcare system that isn't ready for this. We know next to nothing about this virus. There is no vaccine. Maybe you haven't seen what's going on in Italy and Spain. Complete lock-down. This is serious. The virus doesn't care what nationality you are. It doesn't care there's an ocean between us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom