Coronavirus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I just read a statement from our AD which highlights that the IHSA will rule any player who participates with their TB team during this time to be ineligible.

May 29, 2015
I just read a statement from our AD which highlights that the IHSA will rule any player who participates with their TB team during this time to be ineligible.

Makes perfect sense to me. Why would anyone think they should lift that rule? This is a public health crisis, not a sport issue.

May 29, 2015

In any school closure, students could still congregate outside of school and spread the disease, the CDC acknowledged.
Other mitigation efforts, including handwashing and home isolation, "have more impact on (the) spread of disease," the new CDC guidance states.

Jun 10, 2018
NY
I was having this conversation with a class yesterday ... I asked the students “How many people have you come in contact with just this morning?” Of course the immediate answer was, “None.”

”How many are sitting in this classroom right now? How many people did you pass in the hallway? How many people were on your bus? Did you see your family before you left?” Within an hour and a half of waking up, a student has already been in contact with HUNDREDS of people.

For those of you looking for ways around it so you can PRACTICE A GAME ... and I love softball as much as anybody else ... PLEASE STOP.

Look at Vertigo’s post and think for a moment ...

A parent with two daughters ...

Who you want to come practice with TEN other girls ...

Who will go home to their family of ... let’s say FOUR other people ... (we are up to FIFTY more PEOPLE now) ...

And those two siblings go to their team’s practice with another TWELVE kids EACH while the parents go to work and expose hundreds more people ... (I’ve already lost the math) ... who go home to their families ...

JUST STOP. You will live for a few weeks without softball.

Hey Nike, will you sponsor a JUST STOP IT campaign?

I concur with Man in Blue! I know we all love softball, but to be crying and melting down over not being allowed to play for awhile is ridiculous. What an opportunity we have to teach our kids that the world does not revolve around them!! What a chance to teach flexibility!! What a great time to model "going with the flow" to our kids, instead of whining and lamenting how unfair and unfortunate it is.

Enjoy your family and neighbors, check on the old folks, Hang out at home and make some memories during this unfortunate event.

Jun 8, 2016
I concur with Man in Blue! I know we all love softball, but to be crying and melting down over not being allowed to play for awhile is ridiculous. What an opportunity we have to teach our kids that the world does not revolve around them!! What a chance to teach flexibility!! What a great time to model "going with the flow" to our kids, instead of whining and lamenting how unfair and unfortunate it is.

Enjoy your family and neighbors, check on the old folks, Hang out at home and make some memories during this unfortunate event.
Agreed, and while my kids will be fine with this I am borderline OCD with having a routine :oops: "Flexibility" has never been something I have been good at... I just went and bought a dozen softballs to quell my anxiety some.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Not talking about the circumstances today. Why does iHSA state you can't play travel ball if your school has a team? And it doesn't even say if you are in a school team.
The IHSA doesn't give any reason. It is a state association with guidelines for membership. If you want to qualify for the post season, you join. As a coach, I would have major concerns about injuries. We practice long hard hours. We are not supervisors. I want my players to rest on the one day I give them off. I don't want them running from my practice to other games or practices. Physically, they would break down. I'd also suggest that burnout would become more common.

BTW, Illinois is not the only state where TB teams "go dark" when high school ball in in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00