Coronavirus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2013
Our state has just closed all the schools, and my county is a “hotbed” right now. The parent of two sisters on DD’s team tested positive. The other parent received the call mid-game the other day. Game called right then and there. Not sure what will be the outcome of our season. I just hope DD’s teammates and their parent will be ok.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Update: All schools in VA closed for at least two weeks. Schools in our county are now closed through spring break, 04/12. This means no use of fields attached to any schools in our county, which is where the majority of teams practice. There are a handful of county fields around that, as far as I know, we will still be able to use. However, part of the whole point of all this is to prevent or limit groups of people from congregating. We have to do it, but this just sucks.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD just called me crying when practice was over today. As of now school and any sports or activities are cancelled for at least 2 weeks. Apparently they are planning to do e learning. Sounds like a real pita with having 3 kids in school and one computer. She said the team decided that they will still get together and practice a few times a week, but coaches or school personnel cannot be present.
As of now there have been no positive cases in our immediate area.
I was going to comment on this as well. The season is suspended and not cancelled so beware if you are in this situation that your dd can not practice with their TB team. That is what our AD told us. Also, I give lessons but am a coach. I was asked to be ready to provide evidence that any of the players I hit with were my clients before this virus. I have decided to not hit with players since it might compromise us some. Our players want to keep working but we have made it clear we can not set up a practice, attend a practice ... We were told that school facilities will be off limits to the team. Since we have had operations suspended by the Governor of the State, we were given a sense that legally this will be a big deal if any schools violate this suspension of school/athletics.

Apr 28, 2014
I was going to comment on this as well. The season is suspended and not cancelled so beware if you are in this situation that your dd can not practice with their TB team. That is what our AD told us. Also, I give lessons but am a coach. I was asked to be ready to provide evidence that any of the players I hit with were my clients before this virus. I have decided to not hit with players since it might compromise us some. Our players want to keep working but we have made it clear we can not set up a practice, attend a practice ... We were told that school facilities will be off limits to the team. Since we have had operations suspended by the Governor of the State, we were given a sense that legally this will be a big deal if any schools violate this suspension of school/athletics.

Of all things they need to worry about policing what girls do during a school shut down should be the last last thing that school admins should be focused on.

Apr 28, 2014
Our state has just closed all the schools, and my county is a “hotbed” right now. The parent of two sisters on DD’s team tested positive. The other parent received the call mid-game the other day. Game called right then and there. Not sure what will be the outcome of our season. I just hope DD’s teammates and their parent will be ok.

PIAA met last night. Word is that in two weeks each individual school district will be allowed to make their own decisions on the on the plan go forward. Several people were floating the idea of playing just conference games then playoffs. All this is pending any major changes that occur in the next few weeks.

May 27, 2013
PIAA met last night. Word is that in two weeks each individual school district will be allowed to make their own decisions on the on the plan go forward. Several people were floating the idea of playing just conference games then playoffs. All this is pending any major changes that occur in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately, we aren’t part of PIAA. School actually ends for us the end of May this year. The kids start cyber school on Tuesday, so they won’t really be missing classes, so we will still end school on time. Since we do have a smaller conference, there is a good chance we can get all of those games in by canceling out of league games. There are no playoffs, just goes by record. Hopefully can do States this year as all of the May academic trips have been canceled, so we won’t be missing half of our team like last year.

I really feel bad for our seniors. They are the first class to have not been able to be a part of a Championship yet. This season was shaping up to be their year.

May 29, 2015

I was having this conversation with a class yesterday ... I asked the students “How many people have you come in contact with just this morning?” Of course the immediate answer was, “None.”

”How many are sitting in this classroom right now? How many people did you pass in the hallway? How many people were on your bus? Did you see your family before you left?” Within an hour and a half of waking up, a student has already been in contact with HUNDREDS of people.

For those of you looking for ways around it so you can PRACTICE A GAME ... and I love softball as much as anybody else ... PLEASE STOP.

Look at Vertigo’s post and think for a moment ...

A parent with two daughters ...

Who you want to come practice with TEN other girls ...

Who will go home to their family of ... let’s say FOUR other people ... (we are up to FIFTY more PEOPLE now) ...

And those two siblings go to their team’s practice with another TWELVE kids EACH while the parents go to work and expose hundreds more people ... (I’ve already lost the math) ... who go home to their families ...

JUST STOP. You will live for a few weeks without softball.

Hey Nike, will you sponsor a JUST STOP IT campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00