Coronavirus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Not to be the Debbie Downer here, on the way to work this morning the news reported the death toll in Italy as of today was at 3400.........very staggering number!!

Dec 5, 2017
Not to be the Debbie Downer here, on the way to work this morning the news reported the death toll in Italy as of today was at 3400.........very staggering number!!
Honest question because I really don't know. What is different about Italy that is causing them to suffer so much from this and are they at the extreme end of the spectrum for worst case scenario? Is it the age of their population or the close living quarters? Hasn't the virus been in other countries just as long but with less dramatic results/

May 20, 2016
What is different about Italy that is causing them to suffer so much from this and are they at the extreme end of the spectrum for worst case scenario?

Older population and slow response to the situation.

Countries with better results took drastic measures immediately nation wide. Something the US is not doing.

Feb 25, 2018
I had read that 90% of Italy's coronavirus fatalities had other health issues. Couple that with an older population . . .

Apr 28, 2014
Honest question because I really don't know. What is different about Italy that is causing them to suffer so much from this and are they at the extreme end of the spectrum for worst case scenario? Is it the age of their population or the close living quarters? Hasn't the virus been in other countries just as long but with less dramatic results/

Older population but also many middle eastern refugees that arrived in Italy were sent to the northern region. These refugees had underlying medical conditions (heavy smokers, HBP). This is what has been reported in international news.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Italy has the oldest population in Europe and many smokers and underlying health issues. Also, Italy is separated
into 2 different classes of health care. The citizens there with less money, get way slower treatment and
sometimes not the best then people with good incomes.
There is a reason one country is suffering so many more casualties than most others. Its not a coincidence.
And I am not saying this to downplay anything, its completely terrible for any death. Its a crisis for them.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
The next truth China tells about this will be the first. I do not trust China's numbers. There is no free media and all social media is fully censored.
You did see that I said Italy, not China, right? As far as China's numbers, I 100% agree with you! They'll tell us exactly what they WANT us to believe! That report this morning also said that Italy's death poll of 3400 has already surpassed China's death numbers??? A country with a 20th the population of China, pretty hard to believe, especially since it originated in Wuhan.

Bottom line is.........there's so much we DON'T know, what's true and what's not!

Apr 28, 2014
You did see that I said Italy, not China, right? As far as China's numbers, I 100% agree with you! They'll tell us exactly what they WANT us to believe! That report this morning also said that Italy's death poll of 3400 has already surpassed China's death numbers??? A country with a 20th the population of China, pretty hard to believe, especially since it originated in Wuhan.

Bottom line is.........there's so much we DON'T know, what's true and what's not!
You referenced Chinese numbers saying Italy surpassed them.
I shared that we do not know if that's true as CHINA lies...
Some experts say to add one or two zeros at the end if Chinas numbers.

Jun 8, 2016
Blaming China at this point won't help anything nor will blaming the current administration for not being adequately prepared for this when the previous administration briefed the current administration (unfortunately 2/3 of the people briefed at that time no longer work in the administration) on this exact thing during the transition period. These things will likely be hashed out after this is all over so hopefully when the next pandemic comes, and it will, we will be better prepared.

It is like when your kid K's on a pitch over her head..no point in telling her she swung at a pitch over her head..just have her be ready to go play the field and use what she learned from the K in her next AB (see how I brought this back to softball?? ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32