Coronavirus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2016
We only currently have 6 cases confirmed(all travel related) in the region, as some of you know I live in Ontario which is a province in Canada. All minor sports have been suspended/cancelled until further notice, all recs sports cancelled, sporting venues closed down, community libraries, swimming pools, museums etc closed, schools are closed 3 weeks for the time being. Most companies have issued work from home business continuity plans. I don't think it will be long before all non essential businesses will be shut down. About a million people live in this region, only 6 cases confirmed and I applaud the proactive measures we are putting in place. Even still, I believe we could of been more proactive!

May 12, 2016
For whatever its worth, summer is a long way away.

I would say get through the next few weeks, shut everything down that can be shut down and figure it out after that.

A lot will change very quickly. There will be more information to base decisions on with every day that passes.
I agree.. worry about now and the near future. put preventative measures in place, analyse the situation and plan moving forward. It's too unpredictable to be looking at summer events right now, IMO

Dec 11, 2010
There was a reprint in the local paper about the Spanish Flu outbreak. It was fascinating. Lots of talk about over reacting. First known case in U.S. was January 1918, and in October, the local paper was claiming that the area was "flu free". By November, local papers had to run "Flu Death" columns.

Spanish flu was described as "ruthless". It was less age discriminate. there are probably some good lessons in the countries response to it though.

The look back rule is in effect when the pitcher has the ball in the circle and the batter runner has reached first base, lol

May 29, 2015
An excellent explanation of the spread of any virus:

I still think this is like the first season of The Walking Dead ... no, not a zombie plague, but

1584378044291.png

This is one of the key problems with this virus. People who have it and are contagious don't even know it at that point. The exponential increases in the number each day aren't "new" cases ... they are old cases that have just been confirmed after a long laborious process that is allowing the disease to continue to spread. Slow testing, deliberately not testing, inability to test ... all factors that have already facilitated the spread.

May 16, 2016
FFS. We're talking about a bug that's even less of a threat to kids than the influenza strains that kill thousands every year.

This is no different from little Sally bringing a more common flu bug home to grandma, but I'll wager you've never given that a second thought.

In Italy, they are contemplating denying elderly over the age of 80 access to intensive care, because they did not implement social distancing early enough, and their medical system has been overwhelmed with coronavirus cases.

CDC estimates that the burden of Influenza illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1).

Based on the mortality rates we are seeing with Covid 19, if we had 35 Million cases, we could see 700,000 deaths. THIS IS NOT THE FLU.

Jun 8, 2016

What my wife (and possibly me) will be dealing with the next 4 weeks (at least) especially since we are just starting rainy season here in OK.
a) ignore the sass from the 10YO
b) the 1 YO needs to learn to not ride his tractor through the IF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06