Coronavirus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2018
The governor of MA decided yesterday to mandate schools be closed for the next three weeks. Earliest high school spring sports would start would be April 7th, but I'd be surprised if the MIAA starts them on that date.
Decision could be out of their control if the governor extends the mandatory school closure.

Dec 11, 2010
From Fox News (via Apple news which is pretty awesome imho)

Two U.S. doctors in critical condition

A 70-year-old physician in Paterson, N.J., -- who leads the emergency preparedness unit at an institution in the state -- was admitted to a hospital last week with upper respiratory problems and remains isolated in intensive care.

In Washington, an emergency physician in his 40s is in stable but critical condition after having symptoms consistent with the COVID-19. It's unknown whether the virus was spread at work or in the community, the ACEP said.

He worked at EvergreenHealth Medical Center in Kirkland, Wash., where at least 15 people have died from the virus, according to the New York Times. It's located near the Seattle area, which is known as the epicenter of the virus outbreak in the U.S.

Seems serious enough to me.

Do you want to be the coach that schedules a practice or the tournament director that holds a tournament that results in the need for a player, parent or coach to go to E.R. for broken finger, concussion, heat exhaustion, ACL tear, broken ankle, sprained ankle, broken nose, bloody nose........ heck even a fender bender on the way.....

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
DD's org thankfully just officially shut down for the foreseeable future. Wiffles/tee at home and BP/grounders at the local park with just the three of us until all of this clears up..will save me some gas money for sure 😁

May 29, 2015
A Springfield Park Board member is the second of three confirmed cases in our county.

Why is this relevant? Note her lack of immediately noticeable symptoms and continued attendance at large public events. She has reported having attended a Women's Day March, a career fair, and a park board meeting.

Badger said her first known possible symptom began March 4 with a slight headache. The next day, she had a temperature of over 100 degrees and remained home from work.

Badger did not have any other symptoms until March 9 and March 10, when she again registered temperatures over 100 degrees. Out of caution, she stayed home from work. Though she did not have a fever during the day Wednesday, it spiked that evening to 101.9, prompting her to call her physician Thursday morning.

After relaying symptoms ranging from elevated blood pressure, headache, body ache, sore throat and cough, Badger was administered the test.

“As I have not been out of the country, or had any known contact with someone who has been out of the country, or had direct contact with someone who has tested positive, it can only be assumed that I received the COVID-19 virus through community spread,” Badger said. “That could have been in any number of ways, as I had been in the public: grocery stores, restaurants, employment, community gatherings, etc.”

One of the public events Badger attended was the Springfield Women’s March on March 8 ...

As a result, a number of local public officials who were at the event are now self-quarantining. It's not about you ... it's about everybody else. JUST STOP IT!

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Texas Glory liked

TXPrepSoftball
@TXPrepSoftball

·
32m

I have a question for travel ball organizations
@NFCAorg

@USASoftball

@USSSA
With many states stopping high school softball in reaction to the Covid19, why are you still playing? Why are you asking players who can't play HS because of the virus, to risk going back on the field?

I'm going to jump on this bandwagon. USSSA's website has no mention of anything, not even their "handshake ban". USA Softball's last update was 5 days ago on a single tournament.

While I don't think USA and USSSA have the authority to tell local organizations they have to cancel, these organizations can certainly be the leaders they want to be. As an un-hired public relations consultant, here is my advice USA and USSSA:
  • Announce you are pulling all sanctioning for events for the next thirty days.
  • State this could (and likely will) last longer and will be updated in a few weeks.
  • You are in the position to be helping to educate and spread facts to coaches, players, and families. Do it. You can't make them stop practicing, but you can play your role and educate.
Instead ... they are silent. Why? My only answer is because they would have to refund money. Not a good look guys, not a good look at all.

JUST STOP IT!

May 12, 2016
At the end of the day, its
Do you realize this isn‘t about how deadly THIS virus is to the general public? It is about how easily it is transmitted and how quickly the healthcare system can be overrun. A surge on hospitals with this respiratory issue means hospitals are tied up and don’t treat other things.
Also, we truly don't know how deadly this virus is yet. There are a lot of cases out there that have not been resolved. And viruses evolve. Err on the side of caution, it's not what's happening now(and that's critical enough), the potential here is serious.

My heart goes out to all those who are missing once in a lifetime events, but on a whole new level, prayers and thoughts go out to those currently fighting for their lives and those who are already dealing with loss.

Apr 1, 2017
I'm going to jump on this bandwagon. USSSA's website has no mention of anything, not even their "handshake ban". USA Softball's last update was 5 days ago on a single tournament.

While I don't think USA and USSSA have the authority to tell local organizations they have to cancel, these organizations can certainly be the leaders they want to be. As an un-hired public relations consultant, here is my advice USA and USSSA:
  • Announce you are pulling all sanctioning for events for the next thirty days.
  • State this could (and likely will) last longer and will be updated in a few weeks.
  • You are in the position to be helping to educate and spread facts to coaches, players, and families. Do it. You can't make them stop practicing, but you can play your role and educate.
Instead ... they are silent. Why? My only answer is because they would have to refund money. Not a good look guys, not a good look at all.

JUST STOP IT!

We are scheduled to play 3 USSSA tournaments this summer, so I jumped on their website yesterday just to see what their general plan might be. Nothing. I kept trying to click different pages thinking I was just missing it, but couldn't find anything.

Jun 8, 2016
We are scheduled to play 3 USSSA tournaments this summer, so I jumped on their website yesterday just to see what their general plan might be. Nothing. I kept trying to click different pages thinking I was just missing it, but couldn't find anything.
USSSA hasn't said anything since they sent out their "good hygiene" message last week. I am surprised tbh. Once PGF announced they were recommending all of their events be cancelled for the time being I figured all of the alphabets would follow suit.

Dec 11, 2010
For whatever its worth, summer is a long way away.

I would say get through the next few weeks, shut everything down that can be shut down and figure it out after that.

A lot will change very quickly. There will be more information to base decisions on with every day that passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA