Competing for scholarships on the field and online

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Competing for Scholarships on the Field and Online - Wall Street Journal
What is the value in spending $4k per year (or some other $$$ on a sport) to help your child get a D1 sports scholarship? Would the money be better invested in SAT training and tutors?

Before you sign another check consider the following story from the WSJ.

Competing for Scholarships on the Field and Online - Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...le_Lifestyle_6

Aleah MacKay loves playing lacrosse at her high school in Nashua, N.H. But the 16-year-old junior admits that "the driving force" behind her dedication to the sport is "to earn a scholarship to a top Division I school."

To boost her skills and get the attention of college recruiters and coaches, her parents say they spent about $4,000 sending her to six intensive summer sports camps and one clinic at a Division I school, which is generally a big-name university with millions of dollars in sports funding and televised sports teams. Aleah also used an online service that promises to match high-school athletes with college coaches.

With tuition for a four-year private university topping $250,000, families are eager to tap some of the $2 billion that the National Collegiate Athletic Association estimates is granted in athletic scholarships for the 23 NCAA sports each year.

Which sports will give kids an edge in getting college scholarships? Heidi Mitchell on Lunch Break looks at online services that help student athletes link up with college coaches and recruiters. Photo: Caleb Kenna for the Wall Street Journal.

Families are hiring private coaches with specialties—like linear speed tutors to perfect a child's gait. Others are enlisting recruitment consultants and seeking out videographers to make professional-looking highlights reels. Many college-athlete hopefuls attend summer training camps, some that include the chance to network with college coaches—a rare opportunity since it isn't allowed by NCAA rules until a student's junior year.

Some students, like Aleah, register with websites that promise to connect them with college recruiters and coaches.

Even with such preparations, an athletic scholarship is, statistically, unlikely. For men, 59.2% of sports scholarships are given just to football and basketball players, according to Patrick O'Rourke, founder of the data website Scholarship Stats.

In 2010, a student who played high-school sports had a 6% chance of playing any college varsity sport, in any division, according to Scholarship Stats, which bases its numbers on U.S. Department of Education data. For Division I schools, chances were only 3.7%.

Aleah MacKay, left, used an online recruiting service to increase her chances for a sports scholarship. Her parents also spent about $4,000 for sports camps and a clinic.

College coaches say that in many instances, such as when there are no individual rankings, they often rely on the online services to find the superstar athlete in the haystack.

Other times the student profiles just take up space in a coach's inbox. "I have not seen any useful data for fencing with regard to recruiting services," said Michael Aufrichtig, head coach of Columbia University's fencing team, in an email. "If they were to…tell me how many five-touch bouts they won, along with scores and percentage of wins in overtime situations, that could help. Now I just get an email with a name and some results," he said.

Even if athletic prowess doesn't lead to a scholarship, it may make an athlete more attractive to a selective schools, which can then entice the student to attend and play by offering other types of financial aid.

At the recruiting service beRecruited.com, student athletes can register a free profile and create a digital résumé with their athletic and academic stats, videos and photos. They can bookmark schools and programs, which automatically notifies coaches of their interest.

"If you're in the top 100 football and basketball players in the country, you'll get recruited on your own, says Vishwas Prabhakara, chief executive of the San Francisco-based company. "We're for the other 99% of student athletes across all sports."

The service is free for coaches, who can register and search for athletes across a variety of criteria, and receive alerts when new users join or existing users add updates. Students who pay $60 for a Deluxe membership can see which coaches are viewing their profiles in order to follow up with them.

BeRecruited.com has signed up 800,000 students since 2010. It has about 30,000 coaches registered to the site, Mr. Prabhakara says.

The company makes around one million "connections"—when a coach views a profile, bookmarks an athlete, or reaches out to an athlete, or when a student does the same to a coach—across 31 sports per month. That is an increase of 33% over the same period last year, Mr. Prabhakara says.

Once a connection is made, all communication happens outside of beRecruited's walls, at which point coaches and students are responsible for complying with NCAA rules of engagement, Mr. Prabhakara says.

Since 2008, more than 20,000 of the service's student-athletes have self-reported that they have committed to a college or university and received some sort of scholarship, says Mr. Prabhakara.

Another service, the Chicago-based National Collegiate Scouting Association, launched in 2000, says its network has about 600,000 student-athletes. In May, 1,600 colleges asked NCSA for specific types of athletes for scholarship placement, says its founder Chris Krause.

NCSA's fees range from $300 to $1,995, which can include virtual one-on-one training on how to talk to coaches, how to set up unofficial and official visits and which schools to target. Mr. Krause says his service has found scholarships or walk-on opportunities for 90% of his clients.

Certain sports offer better scholarship odds than others. Nonrevenue sports, which at some schools are called "club sports," such as water polo and rowing, have grown recently, says Mr. Krause. Ice hockey, sand volleyball, softball, equestrian sports, and women's rugby also have seen a surge in the number of collegiate teams recently. Men's track teams have grown considerably, with an average of $23,000 a year given in scholarships to individual athletes, compared with the typical $8,000 to $17,000 for other sports, says NCSA.

Sue Enquist, who worked as a women's softball coach at University of California, Los Angeles for 27 years and is now a recruiter-consultant for athletes and coaches, says parents shouldn't push students toward a particular sport, as success requires passion and dedication—and sometimes a third party's assistance. "Don't rely on just your local club coach and his three college connections," she says. She says Web-based services can be helpful. She suggests "an unbiased, honest assessment of the student-athlete's potential by a third party in the beginning of the college-application process."

Some third parties specialize by sport. Rowed2College, a small San Francisco-based company run by former college rower and coach Dave Hinshaw, offers consulting for $200 per hour, plus services that range from $1,500 to $5,000. The company says it has placed 50 rowers since it launched two years ago.

Aleah, the lacrosse player, has two more years of high school, and under NCAA rules, she isn't permitted to speak to college coaches, other than at summer clinics, until Sept. 1, 2013. Still, Aleah has verbally committed to attend Syracuse University, in New York, a Division 1 school. There are 12 full athletic scholarships for a Division 1 women's lacrosse program, which are often split into partial scholarships among the 25 or so players. Aleah hopes to receive some of that money. Her father, David MacKay, an optometrist in Bedford, N.H., says he is "thrilled Aleah's hard work on and off the field is helping her achieve her goals of playing lacrosse at a top Division 1 college while earning a high-quality education."

May 13, 2008
We have used beRecruited and have had quite a bit of contact from smaller schools, but bigger programs (read D1) generally don't make contact through sites like this. You'll still need to do your due diligence and make contact with coaches through email and phone calls. We basically received an offer from a NAIA school through her beRecruited profile alone, but this isn't a typical result from my understanding. It is still a good tool for exposure and research and is for the most part free, but you get additional benefits from buying the deluxe program.

http://new.berecruited.com/athletes/916064/home

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
In reality, athletic scholarships are often not as generous as regular financial aid or merit scholarships that jocks can earn for their academics and other talents. Striking it big with an athletic scholarship, however, resonates with parents whether their children are still in grade school or well into their high school years.

If sports scholarships sound appealing, here is something to keep in mind: Families often end up shopping for athletic scholarships rather than for schools that represent good academic fit. If you are a gifted athlete or the parent of one, I’d recommend that you first identify schools that would be a match academically and then inquire about the sports. Getting a college education is infinitely more important than playing a sports. And remember, the money you receive for academic accomplishments is often more than a sports scholarship.

Athleticism won’t make up for poor grades
What’s tragic about the focus on sports scholarships is that is encourages students to spend more time on their sport than their grades. Kris Hinz, an independent college counselor, once shared with me her experience with high school athletes that nicely sums up the problem. Here is her observation:

In my practice, parents often apologize about their kid’s grades, then quickly say, “But he’s a great athlete and we’re hoping hat can be his ace in the hole.” They are hoping that his athletic prowess will get him accepted and get him money! A tall order! They are usually wrong on both counts. And the worst part is, all the time that has been devoted to sports has siphoned off time that could have been spend studying to earn a strong GPA.

I just thought this was interesting.I also thought it may open some eyes.Getting money for college, I don't care where or why.Just show me the money.

Sep 17, 2009
I go both ways on this topic.

Grades and academics are way more important than softball achievements by every measure.

D1 softball, in particular, seems to me a deal with the devil however you cut it...you are giving up a lot of time and sometimes academic opportunities to your coach/team.

With that caveat...if your DD is a high-level travel softball player, the odds of playing softball in college (with some sort of D1/D2 athletic money or no athletic scholarship at D3) are VERY good if you are smart and aggressive about it. Those 3% numbers are way low once girls have self-selected themselves into a high-level travel ball/varsity high school playing career.

So if your DD is absolutely passionate about playing college softball, it is achievable.

That was the biggest eye opener for me during my older DDs go-around (she chose not to play in college but with a legwork and good grades she had some nice D3 offers). When she started I just wanted her to get a chance to play in high school; by the time she finished her travel ball career all her teammates either played in college or chose not to but had the opportunity.

What does that all mean?

As in anything, be smart about your goals and how to achieve them and use the system rather than be used by it and you can have a great outcome.

DO NOT let yourself be (mis)guided by other fastpitch parents, ego (girl or parent), recruiting services or chasing athletic money that can be easily replaced with academic money if the grades are there ... and insist that the grades ARE there over batting average or earned run average.

Oct 31, 2010
Our kids know that their grades come first. If they can't keep their grades up, sports are gone. My husband is more strict about their grades than I am, he wants/expects straight A's all the time and I am ok with the occasional B's as long as I know they are studying & trying. So far they are doing a good job balancing, but the oldest is starting middle school this year so we will see how she handles the workload.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
From the research I've done to date on this process for DD, the constants repeatidly emphasized are:
1. Grades
2.Grades
3. Test scores

Success at 1-3 open doors for financial assistance - merit aid, academic scholarships, etc. Merit/Academic aid is a 4 year commitment by the school provided the student meet the guidelines of the award - typically 3.0 average and not being arrested. Athletic aid is awarded annually and can be increased, decreased or eliminated based on performance or perceived performance by the Coach/AD.

How many of our DD's will earn a full-time living from softball? Not many.

Given my crystal ball, I would prefer to see the DD receeive merit aid from a DIII school she loves, that offers her intended line of study and where she can be an impact player on the softball team all 4 years.

The likelyhood of DD playing on ESPN is pretty remote as Coach Candrea, Patrick Murphy., etc do not have our family on speed dial currently.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Any parent that has done their research should know that in softball, athletic full rides are few and far in between. However, some parents want to give the impression that their child has a full ride. Think of the percentages of that given the number of full scholarships a university has. D-I allows 12 and D-II allows 7.2 scholarships for softball. Academic scholarships are seperate and, so I have been told by a coach, it is an NCAA violation for a coach to go to the academic offices that hand out academic scholarships and ask for a scholarship for a player. Any academic scholarships are open to any applicant and so, if a player has the academic numbers then they received an academic scholarship. When placed together, then it is possible for a student athlete to have much of their tuition covered. We have been blessed in this way but still have to pay for a few things. Good luck to all seeking that full ride.

Apr 1, 2010
DD is a straight A student so far and hits the 99th percentile or close to it on the yearly state-wide tests. Right now she's a better student than softball player, but she's ony 12. :-D There's a long way to go, but I expect college to be about academics for her.

I'm not sure what we'll do if she starts making Bs. We'd definitely have a long talk with her and possibly make her cut back the softball to study more. Personally, I think playing softball has made her a better student; she now approaches her classwork with that same urge to excel.

I doubt that DD will become good enough to play at a major D1, but if softball was the extra edge that got her into a selective school, that would be fine. If softball is only an experience that makes her a stronger, more successful person, that's fine too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles