Colleges/Universities with high academic standards (engineering)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm just relaying our experience with Cal-Poly mechanical engineering which was not atypical among other mechanical engineering friends he had. He carrier a full schedule for 4 years then a lighter one his 5th while he did his senior project. Some other engineering programs at SLO like materials engineering had a much higher 4 year graduation rate but mechanical was pretty close to a 5 year program for the majority of graduates in that major at that school.

The program is designed for 4 years but due to the impaction of the program it is quite difficult to get all the course requirements in the 4 tear time frame. I belive the 4 year graduation rate was around 47%. So doable, but not guaranteed.

It never hurts to ask the 4 year graduation rate FOR THE MAJOR at the school as they can vary quite a bit for the overall published statistics of the entire university.
What does impaction mean in this context?

Did you pay by the credit hour or semester? At OU you used to pay by credits but they switched a few years ago..that impacts the 4 year graduation rate too ;)

Jul 12, 2019
What does impaction mean in this context?
I believe it refers to too many students wanting the same classes and thus having to wait a quarter/semester before getting to take the class. (fun examples: UC Berkeley has a 2000 person intro CS, while Stanford has a 500 person class, and yet some people still have to wait).

Jun 8, 2016
I believe it refers to too many students wanting the same classes and thus having to wait a quarter/semester before getting to take the class. (fun examples: UC Berkeley has a 2000 person intro CS, while Stanford has a 500 person class, and yet some people still have to wait).
Hmmm..never heard of that before (the word, not the problem). I learned something today. Sounds like something the department needs to bring up with ABET so they get more funds to hire faculty...eg leverage ABET accreditation (which is about the only thing they are good for..) Not Stanford, they don't need accreditation people will go there no matter what, the Cal Poly school.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Impaction means the major has more people than it can really handle. It's kind of thing at many Cal State and University of California schools, depending on the major.

By contrast my daughter got her civil engineering degree at Rose-Hulman (small private stem school in Indiana) and completed her under graduate and master program in 4 years and 2 quarters. She even had one class where she was literally the only student, that is something that would never happen at a UC school.

May 16, 2016
If she is thinking mechanical or aero on the west coast, include Embry-Riddle in Prescott, AZ. Highly rated, NAIA, smaller town (40k) if that's interesting to her.

I believe Embry-Riddle softball is based at their Daytona, FL campus.

Looks like a pretty nice facility.

1654715972826.png

Edit: Dose Embry Riddle have two separate athletic programs? One in AZ and another in FL?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
DD will be attending Colorado School of Mines this fall. She has 3 friends who just finished their freshman year there now and they all love it. 2 play softball one plays soccer. New coach this year for softball - definitely a rebuilding year but lots of talent. If you have any questions feel free to message me. DD looked at several schools that told her she could not be an athlete and an engineer so we were happy she found a good fit. She had to do a college study in HS and looked into ROI for college and Mines had a great ROI! She's looking at Civil, Chemical or Petroleum most likely.

She also knows a couple people at Rose Hulman. Pretty small school but the people she knows there really love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
Iowa State has a good engineering program. DD was an industrial engineering major, a teammate who was an NFCA first team All American was a software engineering major. Another teammate was a mechanical engineering major.

You’ll find any school is friendly to engineering or any other majors if the kid can handle the workload. Talk to coaches themselves. Be wary of “I know a guy who knew another guy who said D1 kids can’t take rigorous majors”. Obviously some course or internships conflict with the softball season, but if there’s a will there’s a way. I know D1 players who majored in nursing, pre-med, pre-law, teaching or any other major coaches supposedly don’t allow players to take.

Jun 11, 2022
I’ll be doing the same if my DD sticks with SB. She wants to fly and we are both Air Force veterans so we are hoping a college with ROTC and a solid SB team. I think the academy is out of the question. My husband likes Embry Riddle, because it’s his alma mater 😆 I like Calpoly SLO only because it’s local and will be close to home.

Jun 11, 2022
Dont think cal poly has a softball team??? Very interested in list of colleges that will allow student to play ball and major in engineering. Any size is ok.
They do! I live 45 mins south of Calpoly SLO and take my girls to see the SB team all the time 👍

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma