Colleges/Universities with high academic standards (engineering)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Obviously some do it and succeed - but in the end, is the stress of both worth it? Usually one has to give, and the player has to decide which one trumps the other.
There may be some employers who will factor in the applicant being an athlete when looking at the “full body of work”. I know my PhD advisor did (but he was also a baseball fan 😂) Of course that doesn’t mean you can rock a 2.5 GPA..

May 27, 2013
There may be some employers who will factor in the applicant being an athlete when looking at the “full body of work”. I know my PhD advisor did (but he was also a baseball fan 😂) Of course that doesn’t mean you can rock a 2.5 GPA..

Absolutely agree.

Apr 14, 2022

I know plenty of engineers who rocked a 2.5 who are doing fine. Depends on the school and grading. Some just grade .5 a point lower.
Shoot in 98-99 a 2.2 would have netted at least 5 offers. Lol

More important than GPA make ask the coach if she can do internships, and better yet a co op around softball.

May 27, 2013
My point is, I think you’d be hard-pressed to tell an MIT student-athlete that they have it “less-stressful” than a D1 athlete. No, softball-wise they don’t play or practice as much as a D1 program (although they are allowed practice and games in the fall), but academically they are pushed very hard.

There is at least one D1 program I know of that allows Dean’s List for freshmen who obtain a 3.25. I have not heard of that at high-academic programs, but I could be wrong.

Jun 8, 2016
I know plenty of engineers who rocked a 2.5 who are doing fine. Depends on the school and grading. Some just grade .5 a point lower.
I am sure there are some..I just wouldn't bank on it especially in 2022 with grade inflation being what it is (hardly anybody grades ".5 a point lower" anymore..). I might be biased (ok I am biased), but actually understanding the material you are being taught should mean something to employers..

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
There is at least one D1 program I know of that allows Dean’s List for freshmen who obtain a 3.25. I have not heard of that at high-academic programs, but I could be wrong.
At Tufts (when I graduated at least) an Engineer could graduate Cum Laude with that I believe (3.6 was Summa and 3.4 was Magna)

Jan 14, 2021
I did a search and came up short. If this has been covered please direct me to the thread.

We have started looking at colleges/universities for DD. She would like to play softball at the college level. Not sure what level she'll end up at and we are casting a wide net in our search. We are hoping to identify multiple schools at each level (D1, D2, D3, NAIA) to investigate and target over the next couple of years.

She is currently thinking engineering as a major (mechanical or aerospace), though I recognize this may change over the next 3+ years. There are obvious choices for schools with that field of study. What I was hoping to get from the collective knowledge on DFS is identification of schools that might not be easily recognized. Specifically smaller schools that have softball programs. Even better if there is first hand knowledge that playing softball and enrollment/success in the engineering program is compatible.

This is a beautuful school dedicated to increasing opportunities for young women in Engineering. They have a camp coming up too.

Apr 1, 2017

This is a beautuful school dedicated to increasing opportunities for young women in Engineering. They have a camp coming up too.
My one daughter had this school recommended by her high school counselor. Might have to look into a campus visit/camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00