D1 Colleges/Universities with pre-med tracks and softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2019
I wanted to start a separate thread from the engineering and nursing threads in order to specifically highlight a pre-med track.

Just some background, my 2025 DD wants to go to go pre-med. She also plays on a national level team that plays a pretty loaded schedule. When talking about majors, she would love to go pre-med but we have heard time and time again that most D1's will tell you that it's not possible with the workload involved with athletes. So, if given the opportunity to play with a P5 school, she was planning on majoring in something like Biology and just trying to take the MCAT afterwards. Well, this weekend, my DD attended a camp she was invited to at Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, LA (pronounced nack-uh-dish). The coaches loved her and wanted all of her contact information, schedule, etc. The camp had some drills, scrimmages, and a campus tour. During the campus/facilities tour, one of the current players mentioned that she was on a pre-med track. Well this instantly caught my DD's attention and she talked with her for 15 solid minutes about various things with the major. The current player, a senior, said that she was a TA for 2 different chem courses in addition to being pre-med and playing softball. So it sounds like it could be possible. Maybe just not in P5 schools.

Anyways, I wanted to start a thread about it because it's not possible to Google "D1 schools with softball that allow pre-med students"....lol. So I'll start the list....

Northwestern State University (Natchitoches, LA) D1 Southland Conference

Original post updated

Jul 12, 2019
I thought I had a great avatar. Peppa Pig is classic!!!
The Muppet Show was a weekly ritual for sure!
The Peppa avatar is from my DD's fav episode involving Peppa not being able to whistle. DD would walk around reciting the lines from this phone call scene using her best UK accent and have me on the floor most times.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The Muppet Show was a weekly ritual for sure!
The Peppa avatar is from my DD's fav episode involving Peppa not being able to whistle. DD would walk around reciting the lines from this phone call scene using her best UK accent and have me on the floor most times.
For someone born in the early 1970s who was raised in the 1980s, the Muppet Show was required viewing. Also, being a drummer makes Animal one of my favorites.

Aug 5, 2022
It’s just a science major or science classes…it can be done. It’s hard and it may take a 5th year to get the labs in that aren’t easily accomplished or summer classes. The hard one is nursing because of the clinicals and the lack of flexibility in that schedule. She can do that pretty much anywhere if she’s willing to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 25, 2019
It’s just a science major or science classes…it can be done. It’s hard and it may take a 5th year to get the labs in that aren’t easily accomplished or summer classes. The hard one is nursing because of the clinicals and the lack of flexibility in that schedule. She can do that pretty much anywhere if she’s willing to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know. Thank you.

Aug 9, 2021
Animal, Beaker, and Statler and Waldorf were the most memorable Muppets for me. Was it on Sunday nights?

As for pre-med., when I was in school, and at my school, it was simply a matter of taking the prerequisites and doing well on the MCAT. I always thought it was advantageous to major in something unusual to set yourself apart during the application process. There are a lot of 4.0 bio/chem majors applying to med school. Several friends went on to med school with majors (or dual majors) in things like music, theatre, and sociology.

No personal experience to share specifically, but I would look at the area she wants to practice (if anything specific), see which med schools offer that specialty, then look and see what the acceptance rate is for that particular med school's undergraduate program. If the acceptance rate is higher for those undergraduates, maybe target those schools for undergrad. Otherwise pick a place you want to live and do well in school.

Nov 18, 2013
When talking about majors, she would love to go pre-med but we have heard time and time again that most D1's will tell you that it's not possible with the workload involved with athletes.

You’ll find the people telling you that often speak out of their arses. The other one is turning down a full ride at a world renowned research university to focus on her education at the local community college.

Dec 11, 2010
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky Softball senior Renee Abernathy was named the 2022 Southeastern Conference’s Scholar-Athlete of the Year for softball on Thursday afternoon prior to the team’s quarterfinal round game vs. Florida.

She becomes the third Kentucky Softball player in the last five seasons to win the award, joining Katie Reed in 2018 and 2019 and Bailey Vick in 2020. UK has won four of the last five SEC Scholar-Athletes of the Year in the sport of softball.

Abernathy, a senior from Springfield, Ill., will graduate this month with a 4.00 grade point average in Human Health Sciences of the medical field at the University of Kentucky. She is in the final stages of applying to be in the United States Naval Academy. Last season, Abernathy was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District Team. She has been awarded spots on the First-Year SEC Academic Honor Roll in her freshman season of 2019 as well as the Spring SEC All-Academic Honor Roll in 2020 and 2021.

Abernathy is second on the team with 13 home runs this season, her second consecutive season incurring double-digit home runs. She has been named the SEC Player of the Week and is currently hitting .331 with 47 runs batted in and 35 runs scored. Abernathy ranks in the top of the SEC in batting average, home runs, runs batted in and doubles, with six two-baggers on the season. She hit a walk-off homer against Auburn to clinch the series in game three and has hit seven of her home runs on SEC pitching.

Dec 11, 2010
She enlisted in the Navy and is studying medicine at University of Alabama Birmingham.

Katie Reed is on the path to becoming a dentist. Can’t remember where.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles