College Softball and Nursing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2010
My DD is a HS Frosh, and (at this point) wants to be a Nurse Anesthetist. She also wants to play softball in college at a high level.
I have researched a bit into it, and the CRNA path begins with a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree.
My question is, "Is playing college ball and getting a nursing degree a realistic combination?"

Thanks for any insight or experience.

Jul 26, 2010
It absolutely can be done, but not at the D1 level. D2 and definitely D3 programs should be open to it. Start the dialogue with schools now to find out all the facts. . . however, don't be surprised if she changes her mind about her career path more often then she changes her socks.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I believe that U of AZ. had a player with a nursing major, recently. Because, I was surprised to see that.

When I coached at an NJCAA, I couldn't take a nursing major. Their labs and shifts at the hospital, conflicted with games.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My question is, "Is playing college ball and getting a nursing degree a realistic combination?"

Probably not.

My youngest DD got a degree in chemistry and played D3 basketball in college, and that almost killed her. The time constraints for a nursing degree are worse than for chemistry. I have real doubts that it can be done.

Generally, college softball teams play three games per weekend. They leave Friday, sometimes in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon, and return Sunday evening. So, she will miss Friday classes, and won't be able to study until Sunday night. She'll have a 3 or 4 hour practice every day of the week during the season. In the off-season, she'll have to get up at 6 AM every day to lift weights.

As Amy said, your DD will have to be doing shifts at the hospital as well as science labs. It would be a nightmare trying to do all of that and study as well.

Ray

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2010
Thank you all very much for your responses. Kind of what I thought.
As a freshman, I would not be surprised if she changes her mind many times along the way, but if she doesn't then that's OK too.

Jul 9, 2010
I would check with some D3 schools before I have up on it. My DD plans to be a biomedical engineer. In fact, she is dual enrolled to get a molecular biochemistry degree and a biomedical engineering degree. All 3 of those things were mutually exclusive in D1, but are possible in D3.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
How many of us worked (some full-time) while attending school full time? More on this site than me, I would imagine.

While very tough, it certainly can be done (if labs and hospital shifts can be made part of the overall schedule).

Apr 13, 2010
If she has some flexibility and time she could get a less demanding related (4) year degree and then finish up the nursing degree after softball is over. Just an idea. I'm not sure how schools handle that but it seems to me it could be done.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
My oldest is an RN and works in ICU Hi. What EP Dad stated is what many of her friends did to continue to play softball in college. They are now nurses , after 4 years of college and softball.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Thanks SBF. Another of those common sense answers that makes me kick myself for not coming up with it myself. Dang Lemmings, you're all alike.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32