College Softball and Nursing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2010
I was thinking along those lines last night myself. I guess there is always more than one way to skin a cat. I appreciate this community to kick around ideas like this. Thanks again!!

Jul 21, 2008
I believe that U of AZ. had a player with a nursing major, recently. Because, I was surprised to see that.

When I coached at an NJCAA, I couldn't take a nursing major. Their labs and shifts at the hospital, conflicted with games.

My daughter is going through this now......she wants to change her magor to nursing but college coach told her that she can do nursing and play softball. This really pissed me off....99% of all college players will never make a living playing softball. Coach is also her advisor, he only signs her up for classes that don't interfere with softball practice.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I know for a fact that a lot of the large D1 schools are the same way, because my friends that are parents of the athletes, tell me.

It is very hard to balance everything. Without naming the school, what level does she play at? Is she a scholarship athlete?

I know a family who's athlete went to a major Texas college and they say "never again." They got caught up in the scholarship chase and now a lot of things (most) are out of their control.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
99% of all college players will never make a living playing softball.

Isn't that closer to 99.9%?

I know a family who's athlete went to a major Texas college and they say "never again." They got caught up in the scholarship chase and now a lot of things (most) are out of their control.

Parents and the DD start dreaming about playing college sports, and you can get fooled into thinking that "college sports" is it. That happened to us...we were misled, but we were more than willing to be misled. We were so focused on the DD playing D1.

Had I to do it over again, I would have spent more time talking to the academic advisors rather than the softball coaches.

Jul 21, 2008
I know for a fact that a lot of the large D1 schools are the same way, because my friends that are parents of the athletes, tell me.

It is very hard to balance everything. Without naming the school, what level does she play at? Is she a scholarship athlete?

Amy, DD plays for a jr college team and she does have a scolarship to play for that college....her plan was to do the college transfer program and then go to 4 year school. She has now decided to do the nursing/radiology program and coach says she can't do it and play ball.

Jul 21, 2008
Another example......time to sign up for spring classes. Advisor/coach signed her up to take an english class that she didn't need and now has to use as an elective. She was signed up for this class because it was the best time slot so she would not miss any practice time. The english class she needed would have interfered 30 min/ twice a week into there practice time, so advisor/coach signed her up for the other english class that didn't interfere with practice. Now she still has to take the other english.

Most coaches don't have the student athletes best interest at heart. They care about winning games bottom line.....

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
There are D1 schools that put academics first. These schools don't give athletic scholarships. Accordingly, the coaches may hold the key to playing time, but they don't hold the academic scholarship/financial aid pursestrings. At these schools, the student/athletes are just that - students first, athletes second. Unfortunately, these schools, which include the Ivies, Patriot League, etc, are extremely selective academically. Similarly, one of the appeals of DIII is that the coaches don't have the athletic scholarship leverage to influence their student/athlete's schedules and majors. Now the coaching and quality of play may not be the same as at D1 powerhouses, but there's something to be said for not having to be subservient to a coach for the financial wherewithall to attend/graduate college.

Bottom line is that a sound college education will take you a lot further than college SB alone in the long run. If you can do both, happily, then you are one of the lucky few.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
"She has now decided to do the nursing/radiology program and coach says she can't do it and play ball."

She probably can't. I wasn't given the option, of did I really want the nursing students or not. I was told not to take them by my AD.

Your English class problem is very common. If you let one girl miss for class, then you have to let another miss for work, etc. I feel like nursing is a calling and the sooner she gets started on it the better. My niece just finished her RN and is at Barnes Hospital. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32