College and majors to stay away from??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2023
I don’t take offense to stuff like that anyway, but I should clear up that I was in no way insulting those majors. I just believed there are better ways to pursue careers in those areas than college.
Ya know... Maybe I should reconsider. Maybe my tech degree really is dead-end. LOL. Or at least, not really that necessary. It's not like the classroom taught me much that I use today. Google and YouTube on the other hand...

Definitely other ways to pursue interests if you are willing to give up someone leading you on the path and forging ahead on your own...

I have been told by my mother the first job I wanted as a small child was to be a trash man. Well that's frowned upon apparently so I chased this other dream I was sold. Then I'm driving in my car a few years back and there is an ad on the radio saying I could get $90K (still a lot where I live) to drive a trash truck if I had a CDL. Only in hindsight did I realize I'm not really happy in my soulless job, since I don't really know what I would do differently if given the chance.

Oct 26, 2019
Ya know... Maybe I should reconsider. Maybe my tech degree really is dead-end. LOL. Or at least, not really that necessary. It's not like the classroom taught me much that I use today. Google and YouTube on the other hand...

Definitely other ways to pursue interests if you are willing to give up someone leading you on the path and forging ahead on your own...

I have been told by my mother the first job I wanted as a small child was to be a trash man. Well that's frowned upon apparently so I chased this other dream I was sold. Then I'm driving in my car a few years back and there is an ad on the radio saying I could get $90K (still a lot where I live) to drive a trash truck if I had a CDL. Only in hindsight did I realize I'm not really happy in my soulless job, since I don't really know what I would do differently if given the chance.
I think I wanted to be a cowboy.

I love teaching, but financially it doesn’t afford me much outside of teaching. Don’t get me wrong, my family doesn’t want for much, but we definitely budget and can’t really splurge.

I have a friend who probably makes about 250k a year. He hates his job, but he loves what it affords him and his family outside of work hours so he says it’s worth it. They recently took a ski trip to CO after a summer trip to the Cayman Islands. I’m jealous of him at times and he is jealous of me at times.

May 27, 2013
While I don't know who you are referring to. 🙄
I know I was simply asking you a serious question that went along with the conversation in your post. Aka as to dead end degrees.
Was trying to draw you into the conversation to
>see if you had some specific good details to offer.
Obviously you took offense to someone asking you a direct question. (Unfortunately, seemed that way.)

Not necessary to make things harder than it was.View attachment 29197
How is saying to Google if they choose a backhanded comment?

I have not taken offense to anything. I just have a difficult time determining if your questions and posts are serious when you add all the laughing emojis. Once I see that I typically just move on.

May 13, 2023
How is saying to Google if they choose a backhanded comment?

I have not taken offense to anything. I just have a difficult time determining if your questions and posts are serious when you add all the laughing emojis. Once I see that I typically just move on.
Well to each their own in humor.
I asked you the question because I thought you might have had a good detailed response of dead end degrees. That's all, that's it, nothing more.

Was actually hoping you would have had more specific detail that you wanted to offer. (Sometimes you do)
I thought it would have been a good for the discussion. Even if it could be found Elsewhere on Google it would have been nice to been part of this discussion.

It was funny because of the way it dragged on like pulling a cart with square wheels just the silliness. And now I'm laughing more. Hope you can see the humor in that.

Enjoy your day!

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I asked you the question because I thought you might have had a good detailed response of dead end degrees. That's all, that's it, nothing more.

….and I gave you an answer of what signifies a dead-end degree. I can’t help that it wasn’t answered to your standards.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
….and I gave you an answer of what signifies a dead-end degree. I can’t help that it wasn’t answered to your standards.
I see students every year with a wide variety of majors. When a student comes in with a list of schools that includes art or fashion schools, I try to steer them away because if they change their minds about the major, they have to transfer. Sadly, many students go to those schools anyway and are saddled with debt they cannot repay because the jobs in the field don't pay well.

STEM degrees are always a safe bet for back-end opportunities, but not everyone fits that mold. I will say a gender studies degree is useless. I once had a student go to Vassar for a Russian Literature degree. She's been an administrative assistant at a tech company for ten years. Thankfully, she got a lot of financial aid but still graduated with over $80K in debt. Money well spent...

Aug 5, 2022
I would consider a degree that leaves one unfulfilled as a dead-end degree - at least on a personal level.

and yet we are pushing so many kids away from arts and into stem majors which are some of the most soul sucking jobs in the world…my stem major got me a job filled with social injustice, crimes against children, beaurocracy, red tape, racism, sexism and just about every other ism and yet I do it because that one success every now and then fills my heart enough to make it to the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles