College Recruiting. Is Softball doing it wrong?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Marriard, great posts. That is the kind of info that can really help parents get to the right perspective and keep the right perspective through what is a tough process in a lot of different ways for different people. I didn’t know that about Barnhill et al

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Not sure this is true (or maybe the qualifying word “officially” is what makes it true)...my nephew (a 2020, 6’3” lefty pitcher) committed to an ivy at end of August.

This is 100% true - and yes "officially" is the right word. Until you get through their admissions process, you can say whatever you want - but you are not guaranteed admissions. Most Ivy coaches get to walk a few athletes into admissions every year and most of the time this helps with the admissions process, but if you don't meet their minimum academic qualifications, you don't get in.

Ivies also have a formula for each incoming class - the incoming class must average the same ACT/SAT as the general student population. They love a player with a 34+ ACT because that normally means they can bring in an athlete at a much lower score than average (** pitcher **/ cough cough**) because it balances out.

But the same does go for other schools. Many a committed kid loses out because they fail to graduate HS or mess up a required NCAA core class or a bunch of unrelated non-softball reasons.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Marriard, great posts. That is the kind of info that can really help parents get to the right perspective and keep the right perspective through what is a tough process in a lot of different ways for different people. I didn’t know that about Barnhill et al

King I believe was committed to Maryland... and then had a great season and changed over to Florida State after her senior season or something along those lines.

Barnhill didn't commit to anyone until after her senior season and there was a lineup of P5's with money to spare waiting for her.

Big exceptions (obviously stud pitchers) but you can find similar examples at most levels.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
This is 100% true - and yes "officially" is the right word. Until you get through their admissions process, you can say whatever you want - but you are not guaranteed admissions. Most Ivy coaches get to walk a few athletes into admissions every year and most of the time this helps with the admissions process, but if you don't meet their minimum academic qualifications, you don't get in.

Ibyies also have a formula for each incoming class - the incoming class must average the same ACT/SAT as the general student population. They love a player with a 34+ ACT because that normally means they can bring in an athlete at a much lower score than average (** pitcher **/ cough cough**) because it balances out.

But the same does go for other schools. Many a committed kid loses out becaue they fail to graduate or mess up a required NCAA core class or a bunch of unrelated non-softball reasons.

Got it. And makes sense.

Apr 16, 2013
I'm very new to this and I don't know whether to complain or just go along for the ride. My DD is a '21 that hasn't been on the softball scene for years so coaches don't know her. She wasn't reaching out to schools when she was 12 or 13.

One thing for me, is attending the camps of schools she wants to attend. However, shelling out the money for every camp every school holds that she wants to attend just isn't feasible. We're not rich and if we were, we would pay for her to go to whatever school she wanted to go to. She's concentrated on her #1 choice and only been to one camp of her #2 choice. She's getting looks (participating in a practice of a D2 school this weekend) from other schools, but that comes from doing well in showcases. What if you have a bad weekend during that one time a coach is watching?

It seems like someone with a leg up on the knowledge it takes to wade these waters is a lot better suited than someone who isn't. I know of a girl that's committed to a top 25 national D1 school that isn't better than a lot of other girls I know. Her father just has the connection. I guess this could also fall under the, "Life isn't fair" category.

Jun 8, 2016
She's getting looks (participating in a practice of a D2 school this weekend) from other schools, but that comes from doing well in showcases. What if you have a bad weekend during that one time a coach is watching?
I think you have to give college coaches more credit than that. Heck, I am just some desk jockey and I can look at a MI or a hitter (pitching not so much..have no clue about softball pitching..lol) and have a pretty good idea if a girl can play regardless of the actual results for any given day.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
Kid's in basketball are playing in AAU tournaments all over the country when they are in the 6th grade. Girl down the street is in 7th grade and has already received a few letters from D1 schools. Not sure it is that much different in basketball, for boys or girls, than it is in softball.

One difference is a full scholarship in basketball. Softball is whatever the coach put's on the table.

mta - sorry Marriard, just noticed you had already mentioned this.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
One difference is a full scholarship in basketball. Softball is whatever the coach put's on the table.
Right, I was more talking about the long arduous, expensive process involved for most. One advantage of AAU basketball is the tournaments are indoors..no waking up at 5 am on a Sat to find out if your pool games have been moved back 3 hours... :LOL:

Aug 2, 2019
Could part of it be that girls are recruited earlier because the physically mature at a younger age?

That 5'10" 165lb sophomore point guard may be 5'10" 165 as a senior, or he may be 6'5" 210. A female that's 5'8" 145 as a sophomore will be 5'8" 150lb as a senior. From a physicality standpoint, you know what you're getting much earlier with the girls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish