Out of season coach contact rules?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2023
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I needed to start somewhere. I'm sure it depends on the state. Would there be rules against going to get lessons from a business that also employs a member of the school coaching staff if both the player and the coach were at the facility at the same time? I'm located in Iowa. Wasn't finding a clear answer. I didn't expect it would be an issue, but someone recently told me that it could be, and I should look into it. Thanks

Aug 18, 2018
Not sure but your school athletic director may be the best resource.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Sep 26, 2023
I believe that the AD said it was ok and would think that they would have known. A coach from a different district didn't think that the state would agree though. Might reach out to the AD directly I guess since I was given the info 2nd hand before.

Sep 26, 2023
Thanks, #12 under 9–12 Coaching Interpretations makes me think that the answer would be no, it is not allowed. The example is about swiming but seems like it would apply.

During the school year, outside the season, can the coach of the high school girls swim team coach the youth girls swim club program practice (all students under the 9th grade) at the same time the high school girls club program is practicing? The youth program practices in lanes 1–3 and the high school girls are practicing in lanes 4–6.
No. This is a violation of the coaching contact rule and would apply to all sports where the same facility is being used at the same time for students in grades below the 9th grade and 9th grade and above.

Jul 22, 2015
In some areas it depends on how many athletes are involved. So where lessons for one player MIGHT be allowed, practices with 5 or 6 wouldn't. Definitely need clarification from the state athletic governing body.

Sep 26, 2023
I think they are allowed to be supervised but not coached 2x a week and maybe being in the same facility could fall into that. Just don't want my daughter to not be able to play because of bad info given. Thanks for the help, I'll ask the AD directly and hope he can clarify things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles