Coaches Vs. Catchers Calling Pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
At 12U my DD gets the calls from our HC and relays them to the pitcher. She gets a wild hair once and a while and will start calling her own. It helps that our main pitcher and she are best friends so they put in work in the off-season together also.

We work in practice on why each pitch is being called and when so she is beginning to learn there is a method to the madness.

I think it is beneficial for everyone to know why pitches are being called and when but most importantly the catcher and pitcher to understand when and why.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
In my experience (most) catchers don't want to call the game exclusively.

I have yet to have a catcher ask/demand (before accepting a position on the team) that they call pitches exclusively.

I assume that most believe it will be a collaboration between coach/pitcher/catcher.

This is just never an issue...

I have yet to see a player "demand" anything and be accepted on a team. Teenagers, even older ones, usually don't push for anything with a coach unless they feel very comfortable with them. It's the coach that should be doing to the pushing. Calling a game is good training and experience. I push for our catchers to call the game whenever our pitch caller is unavailable. Our team has been together for years, and if the pitchers throw what's called, it doesn't matter who called it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06