To those NO DAYS OFF coaches/ people

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
my 16 & 18u teams (practiced together) had practices and college camps all winter. Sundays approx noon to 6. with weekends off for holidays.

always different drills, skill contests, live scrimmages and even some flag football and kickball games thrown in there.

Build skills, team bond, chemistry and game awareness. PLUS exposure to 7 colleges via private camps. (6 camps were indoors during winter)

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Reading through a lot of responses here...I've always wondered what is too little and what is too much for each age window from 10u,12u,14u,16u

I have my thoughts on it, but would love to hear how far one feels they can ramp workouts so growth is achieved, vs. getting to a borderline "burn out/potential injury going 24/7

May 20, 2015
i've coached my own kids a lot between rec, travel, middle school, high school, and again with travel now

i always tried to keep perspective with everything.......heavy accountability for all (i was a big proactive coaching covenant guy), pushed really hard at practice and during games to stay not only physically engaged but mentally......but also realized they were multi sport athletes with life beyond softball.......the longer i coached the more i learned that approach

funny thing is, both of mine from very early on, lke 10u age, ASKED for more time.....they ASKED to go to the cage or to my gym at school to hit, they asked to go to the field for extra reps, they ASKED to stay after practice or get their early for more reps......they did it with me (and still do), they did it with their HS team, the eldest does it with her college team now (celebrity catching for one of their pitchers (she's not a catcher) turns into extra hitting reps, optional open gym is almost always attended, etc)......

intrinsic motivation is a good thing, and often needs to be fostered, and can surely be driven out if not careful

Aug 5, 2022
I think there is a lot of value in physcial days off when it comes to injury prevention and recovery and I think there is value in mental days off where your physical training is cross training and not sports specific

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
You are what you consistently do. Best to be consistent and take time off when it presents itself (weather/injury/school/life).

I don't think anyone is debating the benefits of taking time off, the question is do you "schedule" it? I would say no, just take it as it comes and don't stress over it.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Reading through a lot of responses here...I've always wondered what is too little and what is too much for each age window from 10u,12u,14u,16u

I have my thoughts on it, but would love to hear how far one feels they can ramp workouts so growth is achieved, vs. getting to a borderline "burn out/potential injury going 24/7

It's tough, isn't it. Lots of it needs to be assessed in progress. But at those younger ages, you just want them to be happy. And improving.

Nov 23, 2021
SC
Elite players dont get burned out they embrace the grind.

Ask your companies CEO's if they take days off.

Jul 19, 2021
Longest stretch during the year without touching a bat or ball might be 3 weeks. And during those 3 weeks players should still be in the gym.
So a kid goes on family vacation for a week in the Bahamas and you expect them to hit the gym daily?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles