Coach, do your pitchers wear masks?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It has to hurt face mask or not.

Younger ages the lip between the IF and OF can be troublesome. Older ages OF plays deeper so lip is not as much of a concern.

Nov 9, 2021
I cringe when I hear parents and coaches put girls back in after a shots to the face. A mask will help prevent facial injuries, but they do next to nothing for concussions.

I’m not a fan of masks as confidence builders either. Wear the mask, but build confidence by teaching them some defense. I picture a 3B charging a bunt thinking they’re invincible because they have a mask only to get drilled when the hitter draws back and swings away. That could happen to a skilled player too of course, but at least she’d have better situational awareness and a better chance at protecting herself.

I don’t think anyone is advocating for girls to wear masks instead of teaching them how to play defense. I think most are advocating using them because they could prevent a serious injury on a fluke play to even the best defenders. Especially at a position like third base as you described. They are readily available and don’t interfere with fielding. My opinion is I like my infielders to all have one. Just have to remove the stigma at older ages that they serve no purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 20, 2015
my favorite mask moment was at a 12u tournament, in-state....1st inning, my assistant was coaching first, their dugout was 1b side......"hey coach, no masks in the3 infield?" - coach was an obvious baseball guy, very new to softball.....he gave my asst a growl, "our gloves are our masks"

we hung about 10 on them in the first, highlighted by a screamer that the SS actually moved out of the way on

the next inning every infielder came out with a mask on (their pitcher had been wearing one)

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
my favorite mask moment was at a 12u tournament, in-state....1st inning, my assistant was coaching first, their dugout was 1b side......"hey coach, no masks in the3 infield?" - coach was an obvious baseball guy, very new to softball.....he gave my asst a growl, "our gloves are our masks"

we hung about 10 on them in the first, highlighted by a screamer that the SS actually moved out of the way on

the next inning every infielder came out with a mask on (their pitcher had been wearing one)
I was an assistant coach on a 12U team where we asked that the opposition’s 3rd base put on a mask when our #4 batter, who was 6’2”, came up to bat. It didn’t take much convincing.

Oct 4, 2018
I cringe when I hear parents and coaches put girls back in after a shots to the face. A mask will help prevent facial injuries, but they do next to nothing for concussions.

I’m not a fan of masks as confidence builders either. Wear the mask, but build confidence by teaching them some defense. I picture a 3B charging a bunt thinking they’re invincible because they have a mask only to get drilled when the hitter draws back and swings away. That could happen to a skilled player too of course, but at least she’d have better situational awareness and a better chance at protecting herself.

Not all hits to the face result in a concussion. Every time I've seen it it's either obviously not a concussion and/or the medical staff evaluates and clears them. Never have I heard after the fact that the girl actually had a concussion.

But without the mask on, no way they'd be playing again that day.

I sure hope all softball players are being taught defense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802