To those NO DAYS OFF coaches/ people

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
Top goals when I saw my DD had a reasonable level of talent.
1. Do not get injured.
2. Do not burn out.
For the most part she dictates how much extra practice.
The exceptions are usually dictated on keeping on schedule to pitch in games or weather related.

Jun 21, 2019
If you see a coach with a list of demands, a 7-day commitment, and team workout videos in AUGUST, it's about them and their ego, not the players. In that situation, there is only one choice. Leave that team.

May 27, 2013
My DD’s college coach doesn’t even have their players do something 7 days per week. They usually get at least one day off per week.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My DD’s college coach doesn’t even have their players do something 7 days per week. They usually get at least one day off per week.

Yep...even if the coach wanted to, the NCAA weekly limits make a 7 day schedule impractical, especially out of season.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD did this her freshman year in high school. It wasn't a single sport that was promoting "every day practice" but between softball and basketball, that's what it amounted to.

Softball for the high school started with open gym in January until official practices started in March. They were together almost every day from the beginning of March until the season was over in late May. Of course she played travel ball throughout the summer (her choice). The coach then had what she referred to as "optional" practices in the fall.

Basketball for the high school had official practices starting in the fall with games from mid-December to early March. The coach then had "optional" practices until the end of the school year with an "optional" summer program.

After 1 year of that we knew something was going to have to change. While DW and I were discussing it, DD came to see us and asked what we thought about her resigning from the basketball team. We would have preferred that she continue playing two sports, but it was just getting to be too much.

Jan 1, 2024
That kind of TB team accomplishes two things: Early burnout and chronic injury! Want to enjoy seeing your kid playing in college? Keep her away from that kind of organization.

May 20, 2015
Grind is the dumbest, most overused word in the sports realm....

to reduce (something) to small particles or powder by crushing it.
rub or cause to rub together gratingly.
a crushing or grating sound or motion.
hard dull work.

none of those sound like something i want to be associated with as a parent, player, or coach.......i am 1000% for accountability, for team first - i fully believe if you aren't working to make yourself better, you're wasting time.......but sometimes that includes making it fun, sometimes that includes knowing when to take it easy, to rest, to take a break

and the last thing i want to see is any of my kids, players or my own, to think of softball as dull, hard work

just say no to "the grind"

May 13, 2023
Update on the team/ coach that is doing this.
One month after team got together and the grind every day started happening, there was a disruption between the head coach and an assistant parent coach.
Consequence assistant coach left took his daughter went to another team.
Replacement parent coach that took over assistant coaching. Also ended up leaving 3 months later.

Situation became a revolving door around the original group of head coach's daughter and five other players. While other players left and new players brought on couple of those came and went.

Team is below 9 on the roster if anyone's looking for a tryout... 🙄🤦‍♀️

Jul 11, 2023
I wonder how many people I can trigger by replying just to the subject line and not the details in the OP. :devilish:

Just because it's an "off day" doesn't mean you're idle. Now, do you want to argue that mobility work is softball work for example? I'm not interested in the debate, but I know some people fall into the trap that humans are compartmentalized robots and only sport specific work matters. I'm not of that opinion. Keeping my body in excellent operating condition both mentally and physically IS sport work even if I don't touch or think about the sport for a particular day, week, or maybe even month.

And some of us respond well to frequency over volume. But that doesn't actually mean we're "grinding" 7 days a week. 10 minutes a day, 7 days a week roughly 60 hours in a year. Little bits can add up over time, and you're not punishing your body to get there. You gotta find your own path to the promised land.

Jul 19, 2021
I wonder how many people I can trigger by replying just to the subject line and not the details in the OP. :devilish:

Just because it's an "off day" doesn't mean you're idle. Now, do you want to argue that mobility work is softball work for example? I'm not interested in the debate, but I know some people fall into the trap that humans are compartmentalized robots and only sport specific work matters. I'm not of that opinion. Keeping my body in excellent operating condition both mentally and physically IS sport work even if I don't touch or think about the sport for a particular day, week, or maybe even month.

And some of us respond well to frequency over volume. But that doesn't actually mean we're "grinding" 7 days a week. 10 minutes a day, 7 days a week roughly 60 hours in a year. Little bits can add up over time, and you're not punishing your body to get there. You gotta find your own path to the promised land.
200w.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles