Catcher overuse

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Yes, she is being "overused".

...also, if she uses the "knee-saver" wedges, take them off. Those things can really hurt a catchers' knees and they also promote bad catching mechanics.

Jul 26, 2010
That is what I thought, the problem we have is that we lost our #2. Our #3 really doesn't even want to catch, I have always trusted my DD when it comes to injuries and how she feels because she has never taken the easy way out and knows the difference between hurt and injured. I am starting to think her love of the game and competitiveness is clouding things. We actually have our 1st weekend off and I have told her there will be no squatting or blocking allowed for this 2 weeks. We are making her an Dr. Appt. this week just to be safe. Is there any special exercises she should be doing?

Making excuses that effect a child's health just because some sports team has roster issues is not a socio-acceptable human response to the stated problem.

Take a step back, get some perspective, and think it through.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Also, while we are offering advice, you should be on your toes only to give the signals. Then, you go flat footed. See Coach Dave Weaver's DVD. Also, you could PM, him on this board.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Knee savers only promote bad mechanics, they make a catcher lazy. The worse thing though is that many catchers wear them too close to the joint of the knee, causing the knee to seperate.

Jul 26, 2010
They need to be worn behind the ankle, not behind the knee. I agree that when the catcher is flat footed using proper mechanics, the "comfort" benefits are negligible, however I have also observed mistimed blocks "saved" by being caught between the savers when the catcher doesn't "plug the hole" in time.

I share my opinion with my catchers and leave them to decide to keep them on or not (so long as they can successfully dress in under 60 seconds) as long as they wear them correctly and don't "sit back" on them when they should be in a correct stance. Most just use them for a brief respite between plays.

-W

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Overuse - Yes

Your team has to end up playing games where you're clearly the superior team or clearly the inferior team. When those games come along, it's a great time to play players in their secondary positions. Schedule some friendlies for just that purpose. There's no reason for a respectable team not to have at least another catcher to put behind the plate to give another player a rest.

One of our fall tournament, warming up before game #1, catcher steps in a deep hole and blows out her ankle, she's done for the tournament. Catcher #2 is not showing up that game due to a school basketball game. Catcher #3, a new player to the team, is catching for a girl that has a decent drop. A pitch hit her thumb bone square and she's done for the tournament.

Within a span of 30 minutes, we playing a girl at catcher who caught a grand total of 1 inning the prior year. Stuff happens.

Your team needs to have, for the teams best interest, another dependable catcher. At some point in every tournament we enter during the heat of summer our primary catcher will be on the bench an entire game doing nothing but cheering on her teammates.

Knee savers - either way is fine. If you're worried about your catcher getting lazy, play better teams. Those teams will solve any lazyness problems really quick. While I've heard many times about medical problems due to knee savers, I've never personally known about any or have I read any medical study (or opinion) on the matter. It seems to be a lot of theory with very little substance. If there is some substance out there, I'd love to read it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32