Catcher overuse

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
I'm not a softball expert by any means but I've been to every catching lesson my DD has had over the last couple of years. So I'm just going to regurgitate kind of what my DD has been taught and bare with me because I may get some of it wrong oor wrong terminology.

My DD was taught that there are two stances for catching; one with runners on base and one without. Our catching coach is not a fan of the squat position because it puts too much pressure on the knees, is limited in reaction times, and no knee-savers. But with no one on base, the catcher can be more relaxed because there's less to process.

The other stance is more like the ready position like the shortstop would be in. Thighs parallel to the ground, back flatter, and more balanced. Our catching coach made this my DD's default stance because it is quicker, allows more flexibility, more movement, and faster blocks. And with the inconsistencies in a 14U pitcher, it allows the catcher more range to grab those errand pitches. This stance also seems to be more comfortable and less pressure on the knees. My DD has caught three games in a row in high 90 temperatures and was dead tired afterwards but I can't remember a single complaint about her knees hurting. And I believe it's the stance.

Catchers are a different breed. My DD, like yours, will try to play through any adversity. Last Friday, she took a 60mph misfire from the pitching right into the earhole of her helmet. They said it knocked to the ground for a while. They were scheduled for a game that day and she was very unhappy when the coach and trainer told her she was not playing. The coach told us daggers came out of her eyes when she was told. She was dazed and zombie-like the rest of the day. Next morning, she announced to us that was ready to play the double header that day. Umm, no.

She ended up with a 20% perforation of the left eardrum and is healing fine. I asked her on Sunday if she really thought she could have played in the doubleheader. Her response, "I was going to try!". A different breed for sure.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Overuse - Yes

Knee savers - While I've heard many times about medical problems due to knee savers, I've never personally known about any or have I read any medical study (or opinion) on the matter. It seems to be a lot of theory with very little substance. If there is some substance out there, I'd love to read it.

BrianMonk, I had a discussion with the man that invented knee savers a few year ago. He indicated they were designed after a few years of research on coal miners. That was the original application. Lot's of squatting in that industry for sure. The application to baseball came later as he heard of older (30+) MLB catchers with bad knees retiring early. The knee savers seemed to extend the playing career of those players. It was indicated that no formal study was ever done on the value of knee savers on adolescent youths.

I've searched the web for any independent studies and have never found any either.

Jun 21, 2010
DD is 11 and plays on a 12U rec team. We took the pads off lastnight and she says there isn't any difference than when they were on. She uses Coach Weaver's stances and does just fine.

Kneesavers off at today's game.

Attachments

• AbbyNoKneesavers.jpg
    AbbyNoKneesavers.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 40
Sep 3, 2009
I have a question for coaches and parents. My DD is the #1 catcher for our TB team, she is playing up in 14's. Can you over use your catcher, she has only asked to be taken out 1 time in 3 yrs, at the end of the 3rd back to back game in 100 degree weather because she said she was getting dizzy. She came out and true to form by the next inning she was begging to go back in because in that inning their were 4 passed balls and 1 dropped 3rd strike. The problem this year is that she is starting to complain after games about knees really hurting. This last weekend she was catcher in 8 of 8 games in a 36 hour period. We ice her knees after every game. I have been told that there are some exercises that she needs to be doing to work the complimentary muscles in her legs that aren't normally worked while catching. Any help or advise welcome. I don't want her hard charging attitude to be the cause of a real problem.

That's a problem.. you wouldn't pitch the same girl 3 games in a row, why would you have the same girl catch 3 games in a row? It's the most physically demanding position on the field, without doubt. And with all the gear on, they have a greater risk of dehydration as well. Not to mention that it is so hard on the knees.

My dd is in a similar situation to yours as far as her team. She injured her patella tendon just before the season. She required physical therapy and several weeks off of ANY activity, to heal properly. The sports dr said that girls at this age, are more likely to have knee problems. A common issue is that they are stronger on the outer portion of their quads. This has a tendency to pull the kneecap to the outside causing strain on the patella tendon (as in my dd's case). They had her doing exercises to strengthen the VOM muscles, as this was under-developed. That will keep the knee cap in tension, and in better alignment. Again, our dr said this was very common in young ladies.

I'm not a dr, but i'd almost guarantee that the diziness was from dehydration. Sounds odd, but you really need her to keep track of how often she is going to the bathroom, and the urine color. She needs to be drinking water, always.
Ice is good after the fact, but the truth of the matter, is your team needs another catcher to take half the load. 8 games is ridiculous. You're playing with fire with your dd's health, and some of the injuries can be permanent. Be sure she's doing exercises to strengthen her legs, especially vom muschels; hydrating regularly; and NOT catching every single game. You keep her going at this rate, and you will have problems.

Sep 3, 2009
BrianMonk, I had a discussion with the man that invented knee savers a few year ago. He indicated they were designed after a few years of research on coal miners. That was the original application. Lot's of squatting in that industry for sure. The application to baseball came later as he heard of older (30+) MLB catchers with bad knees retiring early. The knee savers seemed to extend the playing career of those players. It was indicated that no formal study was ever done on the value of knee savers on adolescent youths.

I've searched the web for any independent studies and have never found any either.

Coach Weaver.. when my dd was seeing the sports dr a while back, i took the opportunity to ask him about this. He pretty much echoed your findings; no known studies showing the effects. I explained the positioning for the knee-savers, and he was in agreement about the placement should be low (by the ankles) and not high (behind the knee) as the weight of the player's torso would be pulling the knee apart, causing strain.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
OF COURSE this is too much. Look at the best travel teams around - they all use at least two catchers. True, if it's a national tournament one might get most of the games, but week in and week out you need to develop at least two catchers. As the parent it is your responsibility to see to it that your daughter is not physically abused, and this is physical abuse. MY DD is on an 18U team and we have two catchers that split time and a third to fill in as needed. We would NEVER let one girl catch three games in a row on a hot day.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Thanks Dave for the info. I didn't think there was much out there. If this were a serious issue, it would have been studied.

LOL - this from the article.."but the condition is often related to nerve or spinal cord issues and can be very serious"

So the knee savers are causing spinal cord issues? I also heard that they've been known to cause cancer and that Jimmy Hoffa was buried in a knee saver back in the day. It was a really big knee saver, unlike Mauer's.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
My daughter has been a catcher for about 5 years now. She has been the #1 catcher on teams much of that time, but has been the #2 or even #3 at others. The only time I allowed her to be the sole catcher was last year for her High School JV team, she caught every inning because the coaches their were too lazy to develop more than one player at any position, but that season is short and rarely do they play more than one game in a day, so I let it pass. Even so her main concern coming back to HS this season was "Dad, I can't catch every single game again this year" at 16 she's feeling it in her bones that the position has some wear and tear on her. She's in good physical shape, swam for the HS for two years in the off season so it's not a conditioning issue. Fortunately this year the new HS coach made it a point to put two catchers and two pitchers on all teams and they are splitting time even at the Varsity level (although the split isn't even on Varsity, the other levels are all close to 50-50). My DD is exstatic to play a little 1B or outfield on her non catching days and doesn't even begrudge a rotation to the bench once in awhile, this is supposed to be a team sport, not a meat grinder for pitchers and catchers that the other 7 get to just watch.

Going into a weekend tournament knowing you will play 5-7 games in two days with one catcher is abusive to their body and a price will be paid eventually. Having a coach too lazy to develop another catcher is a good sign that it's time to find another team. Don't be afraid to look for a team that has other catchers. We went into last travel season with 3 catchers and 2 other kids that had caught, but knew they weren't catching unless one of the other three went down. My daughter started that season as the #3 and ended it as the #1 because we kept rotating them religiously and eventually she just rose to the top. That is a great competitive atmosphere for the girls because they know they need to keep improving to hold their spot in the pecking order or improve it. I would guess a kid who is the sole catcher on a team would start to get a little lazy knowing no one is really anxious to take over for her (and because she's just plain tired). Wouldn't you rather she play every other game or even every third game at her peak performance rather than at 80% all the time?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck