Catch the whip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
6d45c99966a0c9d4e25b0d5b212bb3e4.jpg

Result of those 2 things is missing of the whip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
2 things you can try. Not drills Per say. Cue her to visualize a clock on her just or an eye and tell her that eye has to stay facing third base at release.
2. Ask her to visualize a huge mail or pole going through the tip of her head into the ground after her left foot hits the ground and stay straight and tall through the rest of the pitch.
3. Another cue is to bring the hip to the arm.
- keep in mind 2 and 3 could work great but until you fix the shoulder turn don’t work on 2 and 3. If you fix the lean before the shoulder turn she will run into her hip with a straight arm and it will hurt pretty good.

Nov 8, 2018
So to fix her shoulder she needs to stay open more towards 3rd correct? Or if she keeps left arm from swimming so far out and glove to catcher?

Yes her upper body The lower body still needs to close the way she is doing it. I doubt her glove is the cause. It’s her wanting to push the ball. Go slow with cues from 9, 12, stepping full from 6 to 6 and see if she can keep from closing her shoulders to the catcher before release. She does that then go full with a drive and try and keep that chest from facing the catcher. Over exaggerate it so she can feel it. Then it should become natural over time. Fix that and she’s on her way.

Jan 28, 2017
Some things that may help.
1. Glove up the right side as long as you can. Right shoulder behind left shoulder.
2. Heel turns no more than 45 degrees. Top two will help the shoulder going out and get separation.
3. The inner arm is late getting on the ribs (close armpit earlier).
4. Stride knee find the foot. The knee and ankle joints aren't stacked. Would like ankle, knee, hip, and shoulder all stacked.
5. Close the gap between the front leg and back hip at landing.

Also, I'm big on being off the rubber at 3 o'clock.

Apr 21, 2020
Some things that may help.
1. Glove up the right side as long as you can. Right shoulder behind left shoulder.
2. Heel turns no more than 45 degrees. Top two will help the shoulder going out and get separation.
3. The inner arm is late getting on the ribs (close armpit earlier).
4. Stride knee find the foot. The knee and ankle joints aren't stacked. Would like ankle, knee, hip, and shoulder all stacked.
5. Close the gap between the front leg and back hip at landing.

Also, I'm big on being off the rubber at 3 o'clock.

Thanks tango but a couple questions
What do you mean by glove up the right side? stride knee find the foot? And also close the gap between the front leg and hip . Sorry

Jan 25, 2022
6d45c99966a0c9d4e25b0d5b212bb3e4.jpg

Result of those 2 things is missing of the whip.

This is EXACTLY what I'm dealing with. My daughter's body at the same point in the pitch is almost identical to this pic. She doesn't release late/high, but everything else is so, so similar. I don't know if you saw it, but I posted on the Pauly bullpen FB group a few days ago asking for video of pitchers who throw out of the glove with no backstep, and it was to help me troubleshoot this exact problem from the start of the pitch. We spent a lot of time getting her to whip the past several months (and she does from a standstill), but when she has the ball in her hand it changes to exactly what we see here.

I knew exactly what was wrong in the pitch, but I was trying to fix it from the drive side and with FSR work. The thought being that if she gets out fast enough that the hip won't lag and will come around with less resistance, then solid front side would prevent the forward tilt. Her front side is pretty solid already, though, so it's been tough to see improvement there. But it seems based on your responses in this thread that this is more of a mental/cue based fix.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
4df8260fdf42523a617713171d71b08e.jpg

You can really see the lean to the right. Obvious straight arm.

I don't think her arm is straight, it looks to me like her hand is a little under the ball with the elbow leading. But I would like to see better video, the camera angle in this one makes it tough to see exactly what is happening, and it's a little blurry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck