Pitching work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
If she's throwing 60 at 14, you're in the top 5% of pitchers her age. I wouldn't stress about it. She's got a few more years to build strength - I would suggest caution in regards to feeling pressured to add a new workout or routine just to get another mph or two on a consistent basis.

May 13, 2021
From what I have seen, I would say most girls are past the so called easy jumps in speed by 14. Although at this point it doesn't seem very easy.

May 17, 2023
If she's throwing 60 at 14, you're in the top 5% of pitchers her age. I wouldn't stress about it. She's got a few more years to build strength - I would suggest caution in regards to feeling pressured to add a new workout or routine just to get another mph or two on a consistent basis.

I think you're right, but we played in a tournament recently where I would guess that was about the avg. Tops was like 66-67 but several in the low 60s.

My kid is clearly well below avg in velo :ROFLMAO: . I'm sure some of it has to do with start back, but also just amazing how strong and athletic some of these girls are at such a young age.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
We rarely clock in practice- typically game only and will usually get numbers at the beginning, middle , and end of the game. My DD always throws harder in game which is why we stopped clocking in practice. Sometimes she will pull the radar out if she is working on something new with off speed stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my pitchers throw harder in games.🥎🥎🥎

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would be careful with weighted balls, I never allowed DD to use them. I did not know enough about them and I was sure the coaches didn't either. Other players were throwing them, DD no.

She had various pitching instructors and I would have been OK if they used them but none of them brought weighted balls out. JMO.

Jan 28, 2017
Was talking to a dad and his daughter pitches at a Power5 school, she jumped 4 mph going into her junior year of college. He said, they have no idea why she jumped in speed. Thought it was interesting. She works harder than anyone I've ever seen. Unreal in the weight room and general conditioning.

May 18, 2019
I think you're right, but we played in a tournament recently where I would guess that was about the avg. Tops was like 66-67 but several in the low 60s.

My kid is clearly well below avg in velo :ROFLMAO: . I'm sure some of it has to do with start back, but also just amazing how strong and athletic some of these girls are at such a young age.
What tournament? I saw more girls in the upper 50s at pgf premier nationals than in the low 60s.

Jan 1, 2023
My daughter hit 61mph right at the very end of 12u this summer. She could get blown over by a good gust of wind, so hoping she can gain weight and that it will help her add speed. She’ll do some long toss in winter or summer, but it has never been a big focus.

Right now we’re mostly focused on strength training and non-speed stuff. Not sure how much faster she could throw without adding some bulk.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019
My daughter hit 61mph right at the very end of 12u this summer. She could get blown over by a good gust of wind, so hoping she can gain weight and that it will help her add speed. She’ll do some long toss in winter or summer, but it has never been a big focus.

Right now we’re mostly focused on strength training and non-speed stuff. Not sure how much faster she could throw without adding some bulk.

Impressive

May 17, 2023
What tournament? I saw more girls in the upper 50s at pgf premier nationals than in the low 60s.

Yeah it was also PGF. Mostly 09s, the highest were ones from Ohio Outlaws and TG National, but also several in low 60s from Bandits, Mojo, Tbolts, etc.

We had parent with their Pocket Radar who walked around a little bit because we were all amazed at the speeds we were seeing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles