Pitching work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
Yeah it was also PGF. Mostly 09s, the highest were ones from Ohio Outlaws and TG National, but also several in low 60s from Bandits, Mojo, Tbolts, etc.

We had parent with their Pocket Radar who walked around a little bit because we were all amazed at the speeds we were seeing.
The Outlaws have some fast pitchers. We were at some tournament (can't remember which one, maybe Chattanooga), and there was an 08 cruising at 65 and was getting up to 67 routinely. There was an Iowa coach/scout gunning her and I could see the readings. I'm sure there are faster, but she is one of the fastest I've seen.

May 13, 2023
My daughter hit 61mph right at the very end of 12u this summer. She could get blown over by a good gust of wind, so hoping she can gain weight and that it will help her add speed. She’ll do some long toss in winter or summer, but it has never been a big focus.

Right now we’re mostly focused on strength training and non-speed stuff. Not sure how much faster she could throw without adding some bulk.

Good for her! 👍 way to BRING IT !

Jan 1, 2023
Yeah it was also PGF. Mostly 09s, the highest were ones from Ohio Outlaws and TG National, but also several in low 60s from Bandits, Mojo, Tbolts, etc.

We had parent with their Pocket Radar who walked around a little bit because we were all amazed at the speeds we were seeing.
We clocked out entire games at PGF Nationals for 2010s, and didn’t see much over mid-50s outside our own pitchers, who generally sat upper 50s touching 60mph a few times. The California pitchers seemed much more focused on spin. We missed some of the Southern teams (Bolts and Impact) that looked like they had hard throwers.

Locally, we’ve seen like 4 other girls touch 60.

USA All-American games there was a Texas girl in the low 60s, and the the Bandits girl who throws really hard. The other Bandits girl also is sitting 59-61mph.

Then there are a few girls I know of in the low to mid-60s that played up.

At 13-u, speed seems to have become less important from 43ft. Maybe when they get to upper 60s, that changes again.

May 17, 2023
The Outlaws have some fast pitchers. We were at some tournament (can't remember which one, maybe Chattanooga), and there was an 08 cruising at 65 and was getting up to 67 routinely. There was an Iowa coach/scout gunning her and I could see the readings. I'm sure there are faster, but she is one of the fastest I've seen.

This was an 09 Outlaw. Her Twitter claims 68mph FB. We had her consistently 66-67, so pretty close. The TG pitcher was right there with her.

Your always going to have some very elite pitchers, but was just amazed how many we saw above 60.

May 27, 2013
Oddly enough, my dd hit 60-61 (top speed) after her freshman year of HS. She then switched PC who helped her develop her spins more and she dropped down to about 56-58, but became much more effective in games. I’d say during senior year of HS she was touching 60 again, but not consistently. She also dropped a bit that summer due to overuse. She’s now a junior in college and is finally cruising at 60 (based on what she told me) and that’s with spin pitches, not FB.

It takes a lot of hard work, good nutrition, hitting the weights, staying healthy, and fine-tuning mechanics to get to and maintain the top cruising speed your dd is capable of. My dd changed her wind up a bit this summer and I think that (and the slight leap she does now) helped bump her speed to where it currently is.

She never really had a speed goal. Her goals were to always increase her K’s, decrease her walks and hits allowed, and lowering her ERA, while spinning the ball better each season. If the speed increased, it was just an added bonus.

ETA: I do totally believe that dd taking the summer months off from pitching during college also helped. She‘d still throw with me 1-2 times per week if our schedules allowed but she never joined a summer league team. She always said she needed the mental and physical rest, and it definitely made a positive difference *for her.*

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023
I tried asking this before but do the easy gains stop at 60, or do they stop when the girl stops growing? Or somewhere in between? Any thoughts are appreciated.

May 27, 2013
I tried asking this before but do the easy gains stop at 60, or do they stop when the girl stops growing? Or somewhere in between? Any thoughts are appreciated.
IMHO, the easy gains stop after they’ve hit puberty - unless they haven’t pitched before and are just starting lessons. We saw the set backs then big gains with each growth spurt, but then she leveled off after puberty. My dd has a tall thin build - very difficult for her to gain weight, so I think that actually hurts her a little.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
An 08 hitting 67 will have over 40 calls on September 1st.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles