Would you consider this brush resistance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2015
I would not, FWIW, since there is no visible contact below the elbow. But I also think the best way to tell is with your ears, not your eyes. You can hear something between a “psst” and a “thwack,” followed an instant later by the sound of the ball hitting the glove. (You don’t want too much “thwack” obviously.)

ETA: that said it’s really close as I look at it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Considering the valgus of her elbow, I like it. I would say she is brushing. If she got rid of the slight twist in her upper body she might brush more but I like the whip and her upper arm appears stable. How is her spin?

Nov 9, 2021
Considering the valgus of her elbow, I like it. I would say she is brushing. If she got rid of the slight twist in her upper body she might brush more but I like the whip and her upper arm appears stable. How is her spin?

She has always had really good spin. Before she would lean towards third a little bit to clear room for her arm to get through. This is an improvement on her standing tall and I was curious if this was enough brush or if I needed her to strive for a little more. As you pointed out the valgus of her arm keeps the forearm a little further from the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
If there is any brush it is very little. She does clear her hips out a bit too much/too early and maybe loses posture just a bit but it sounds like you're on the right track. I wouldn't chase the brush in isolation, just keep working on those 2 things and it will take care of itself.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
No, there is no brush here. The upper arm is sliding by the ribcage and the forearm is clearly away from the hip.

I would suggest having her work on stopping her shoulders more at 45 degrees. That will allow her upper arm to compress against her ribcage and give her the opportunity for brush.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think it’s not brush contact because she gets on the front leg as the upperbody gets ahead of the lower. Takes the lower out of the pitch.

There is a lot left in the tank.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles