Can't fix the crow hop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
The pause, or hitch is just part of the timing for a replanter. When the replanter swings the arms out/forward during the drive, they often open up (coil) to the point where the back pocket and jersey number can be seen by the catcher. The drive leg knee cocks back and in most cases, the sole of the foot faces down. The arm circle pauses slightly to time the whip off of the replant.

View attachment 5539View attachment 5540View attachment 5541

The drive, coil and fire mechanics are different from the classic leap/drag pitcher:

View attachment 5542

I'd also bet you can find a pause/hitch in many classic leap & drag pitchers, which is just timing the whip into the plant of the stride foot.

I’ve only worked with a couple replanters and cannot say I’ve had any luck. In one case, neither the parents/coaches or the pitcher, really cared enough to work on it outside of lessons and the other was a drive-by lesson. I’d like another shot at one, but without motivation prompted by umpires calling it, it might be a tough sell….

These (I call them "pitcher butt" because the pitchers pitch with their backsides towards the catcher) issues are caused by striding by throwing the stride foot in an arc, trying to open from the get-go of the pitch, instead of striding forward engaging the knee directly towards the catcher by employing the hip-flexors. The pitchers need to go forward before they go open in order to correct this.

-W

Jun 5, 2010
Well done Ken, one of the best posts ever describing the most unenforced and actually most illegal pitches in softball. This is exactly what the rule book means by replant. Pitcher doesn't have to become airborne to replant, just like not all airborne pitchers replant. It is the crow hop without the drag foot elevating....some call it the crow drag. It is a second push, a second use of the power of the drive leg. All umpires can call hand infractions, which I think are silly and gain the pitcher no advantage, some can call airborne non replant, which gives the pitcher a little advantage by allowing her to release a few inches closer to the plate than if she did stay down, but very few understand replant and less will call replant. The sad thing is that the most advantage is gained by the replant, very little from airborne, and virtually none gained from hand infractions. It is all backwards.

Feb 7, 2013
I respect your guys opinion but you are flat out wrong on this one. Outfielders use a crow hop sometimes to throw the ball father, it has nothing to do with whether or not they have a hitch in their arm circle that is causing them to crow hop.

I can crow hop all day long with or without a throwing motion. It's all about the lower body. Fix the lower body and the crow hop goes away. I can also do arm circles with and without a hitch and it has no relation to causing my lower body to crow hop.

At best, an arm circle hitch is the result not cause of crow hopping.

Kinda expected more from you guys. You are better than this.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I respect your guys opinion but you are flat out wrong on this one. Outfielders use a crow hop sometimes to throw the ball father, it has nothing to do with whether or not they have a hitch in their arm circle that is causing them to crow hop.

I can crow hop all day long with or without a throwing motion. It's all about the lower body. Fix the lower body and the crow hop goes away. I can also do arm circles with and without a hitch and it has no relation to causing my lower body to crow hop.

At best, an arm circle hitch is the result not cause of crow hopping.

Kinda expected more from you guys. You are better than this.

I'm guessing I choked in my description...

Feb 7, 2013
Someone on the internet told me I was wrong, I'm gonna cry.

-W

All I am asking is to have an open mind about this and then present your best argument. Does the outfielders arm whip "hitch" cause them to crow hop a throw to home plate?

IMO, Cat Osterman crow hops but I don't see any noticeable arm hitch that is causing this crow hop. Looks like a pretty smooth arm circle.

Would love to get Boardmembers or Java's take on this??

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd