What’s consider crow hop/leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 17, 2017
It’s a tough call for the umps. DD and I watched one of her friends team play last fall. Their pitcher had a blatant crow hop, and she was blowing kids away at 14U.

The other coach complained in the first inning, and the ump did call an IP. She stopped for 3-4 pitches and then started doing it again. There was another warning, but that was it. The hopper won 7-0.

The ump tried, and she was able to stop when she put her mind to it. But she went right back to muscle memory quickly and was very successful, probably throwing in the 55-60 range. Should the ump have taken over the game in an October 14U B pool game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kills me to see this..... Kills me to see Pitchers who works her rear off to pitch the correct Legal way have to face and get destroyed by Illegal pitching......

I have so many pics of a 12u girl in my area FLYING off the mound and another girl completely replanting......

Those 2 girls get the playing time and the accolades...

It's crazy... I do side by side videos of my kid Vs other pitchers and the REPLANT is key for these girls throwing 50+ at 12u IMO.....

Maybe after she cleans up her form we can add a Cheat code later but, horrible for legal kids to keep losing to Cheaters....

Nov 17, 2017
Here is a short video of men pitching under WBSC rules. They all crow hop/replant with the exception of a tall lefty at the end.

I can't believe ppl on here say that 2nd launch has no advantage......

I watch local pitchers and that 2nd launch is ALL the advantage!!!!

Nov 17, 2017
This topic seems to have lots of great opinions. My two cents....for what it's worth....the illegal pitch is the number one thing that coaches like to cry when they are getting bested by a good pitcher. It really doesn't bother me that umpires call an Illegal pitch. What bothers me is when they only do it when prompted by a coach. I think they should call it at 10 and 12U but they should do do fairly. They should also let the coach know an illegal pitch was called. I had one umpire call my 12U DD for an illegal pitch several times and all he did was put his fist out and say ball. We all just thought he had a super tight zone.

REALLY?????????

It only bothers you when someone says something after getting ILLEGALLY DOMINATED??????

I mean why not say something when some crappy Illegal pitcher is getting beat up????

LMAO!!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I can't believe ppl on here say that 2nd launch has no advantage......

I watch local pitchers and that 2nd launch is ALL the advantage!!!!
Have mentioned previously about the difference as a hitter in timing it.

:) it is a measurable difference
= in inches" and feet' !

And pitchers admittedly like it!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The men are in a different category. For the women replanting generally means less than ideal mechanics. And you would have to do the math and see how much closer to the plate two small steps gets you.

Aug 21, 2008
The men are in a different category. For the women replanting generally means less than ideal mechanics. And you would have to do the math and see how much closer to the plate two small steps gets you.

Curious why you say that. Why are men in a different category? And why do you seem to think they can keep mechanics when women seem to lose theirs replant?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Most of the men have different timing than the women do. The men leap much further than the women, this means that they spend more time in the air. If they have the ball at 3 o'clock at lift off and around 10-11 at foot plant what do they do with the ball during the extra time they have in air? There is a place in their ball/arm circle where they seem to hesitate or slow down their arm circle. And the replant itself adds another element to the timing and the overall sequencing of the motion. Pushing off the back foot a second time before the front foot lands has to change something?

For the men the replant is taught as part of the motion, the link that Bill H provided to a men's instructor proved that. For the women replanting is technically illegal and therefore bad mechanics.

I look at this clip of Adam Folkard for comparison.

Aug 21, 2008
Most of the men have different timing than the women do. The men leap much further than the women, this means that they spend more time in the air. If they have the ball at 3 o'clock at lift off and around 10-11 at foot plant what do they do with the ball during the extra time they have in air? There is a place in their ball/arm circle where they seem to hesitate or slow down their arm circle. And the replant itself adds another element to the timing and the overall sequencing of the motion. Pushing off the back foot a second time before the front foot lands has to change something?

For the men the replant is taught as part of the motion, the link that Bill H provided to a men's instructor proved that. For the women replanting is technically illegal and therefore bad mechanics.

I look at this clip of Adam Folkard for comparison.

Interesting thought. I don't agree though. Timing is timing, whether the person has a large hop or a small one or no hop at all. The hitter gets his/her timing regardless of how long someone is in the air. What makes Folkard so tough is not his crow hop, that's easy to adjust to if given enough at bats. It's his 88mph riseball (ya, I know... it doesn't go up. lol) and 88mph dropball that falls off a table, which absolutely no distinction in motion between the 2. You have to guess if it's going up or down, then measure that just right with your swing, while trying to swing quick enough. Andrew Kirkpatrick (6'7 lanky lefty from Australia) has ZERO crow hop but still throws lower 80's. Both are extraordinarily hard to get your timing one and it has zero to do with the hop. Once you face this several times, the hop becomes irrelevant. You start your swing when the back foot comes down, just as you would start it if there was no crow hop. Either way, it's tough to hit. People are moving the ball more on Folkard now than ever before, he almost has zero change up. Kirkpatrick has a change and mixes speeds well. Folkard just tries blitzing it past you, and more and more people are catching up.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I use Folkard as an example of how the men pitch, he may be a bit extreme but that's what makes him useful. There is something noticeably different about how the men pitch when they replant, which most of them do. The women who replant, Barnhill, Plain, Carda, are the ones who come to mind, do it in a way that is different from the men. Their posture is tipped forward more, there is less front side resistance and less brush. The men land in a way that is more 'classic', leaning back with more FSR.

When I talk about timing I don't mean the hitters, I'm thinking about where the ball is in the circle vs pushoff and landing. The men seem to have a slower arm circle when the ball goes over the top. If you could measure ball speed throughout the circle I think that the men would be slower at around 12 o'clock.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06